Do even torch lights twinkle in the sky?

In summary, the light from a torch will twinkle because it is a point source and the distance is not relevant.
Astro.padma
Dont ignore this as a hypothetical one, but really I have some doubt... suppose we made a very bright torch light and took it to Mars. Now assuming that the light is bright enough for me to observe it from Earth with the naked eye, would we see the light twinkling?

Is the twinkling only property of stars or anything else?

Um...am sorry if my questions are a bit silly but please try to answer them as I am really a beginner :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes the torch light would twinkle. The reason for the twinkling is disturbances in the Earth's atmosphere. I'm sure you're familiar with the wavy nature of things when you're looking through hot air, say above a highway or fire. This is the same principle that causes starlight to twinkle. Now, the reason that planets don't twinkle is because they are not points in the sky -- even though we can't really tell with our eyes, they're actually small disks. So, the same atmospheric disturbances which block out a star's light block out only a small fraction of the planet's disk -- we can't tell!

Um... Why is the behaviour of torchlight similar to that of the star and not to that of the planet?

And planets don't twinkle because they are not point sized as they are at lesser distances than the stars. But in this case even our torch light is placed near the planet, right? Then why would it twinkle like stars?

Sorry, I obviously didn't mean to imply that either the stars or the torch is a point. The thing is, the star is so far away that it is effectively a point source. Similarly, since a torch is much smaller, it is effectively a point source, even though it might be much closer.

The distance is not relevant in and of itself, it is the angular size that counts.

Oh...ok Sir :) thank you :)

1. Do torch lights really twinkle in the sky?

No, torch lights do not twinkle in the sky. The twinkling effect seen in the night sky is caused by the Earth's atmosphere and the movement of air pockets, not by artificial light sources like torch lights.

2. Why do stars twinkle but not torch lights?

The twinkling effect of stars is caused by the Earth's atmosphere bending and scattering the light from the stars. Torch lights, on the other hand, do not have their light affected by the atmosphere because they are closer to the ground and not as far away as stars.

3. I have seen torch lights flicker, is that the same as twinkling in the sky?

No, flickering and twinkling are two different phenomena. Flickering of torch lights is caused by a fluctuation in the power source or a loose connection, whereas twinkling of stars is caused by the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Can torch lights ever twinkle in the sky?

No, torch lights cannot twinkle in the sky. The twinkling effect is a unique property of stars due to their distance from Earth and the atmospheric conditions. Torch lights are not far enough away from Earth to create this effect in the sky.

5. Do all stars twinkle the same way?

No, not all stars twinkle in the same way. The twinkling effect can vary depending on the atmosphere, the distance of the star from Earth, and the temperature and brightness of the star. Some stars may appear to twinkle more intensely or less frequently than others.