Do Fish Break Wind? Investigating Digestion in Aquariums

In summary, the grape vine reported that the union of ovbovs were thinking on a march to London, to protest about humans polluting the countryside.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do fish----

Break wind, when looking at them in aquariums i have never seen bubbles coming from that end, so may be their digestive system works differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is well known that fish have shy bowels. They will not break wind while you are watching.

All seriousness aside, fish don't have much of an opportunity to get air into their digestive system, mostly they get water.

That being said, they do sometimes get air into their systems, especially if they eat at the surface. I ahve seen my poor little neon tetras fighting desperately to maintain neutral bouyancy after a particularly piggish meal. They have to swim straight down vigorously and continuously to stay in one place.

I'm pretty sure that's why baraccuda are so fast; their eating habits give them jet propulsion.

Danger said:
I'm pretty sure that's why baraccuda are so fast; their eating habits give them jet propulsion.

Danger, you are just so far behind, you should be on the ghost cam case by now.

Danger said:

Then whales must have a steam engine:rofl:

Wolram, I watched QI this very evening. Apparently (according to Steven Fry) herrings are the only fish seen to have had bubbles coming out of their anuses. However, he said it wasn't gastric gases, but emissions from the creature's buoyancy bladder.

wolram said:
you should be on the ghost cam case by now.
I read it already; there just wasn't anything for me to contribute. I'd have a shotgun, not a camera, wired into the sound detector.

There was an interesting point on Qi a couple of weeks back which was that kangaroos cannot fart because they have special bacteria in the gut that either neutralise the gases or stop them being produced in the first place. They're hoping to use this to stop cows from emiting greenhouse gasses in an atempt to stop global warming so we can all still use cars.

Sounds good to me.

Kurdt said:
There was an interesting point on Qi a couple of weeks back which was that kangaroos cannot fart because they have special bacteria in the gut that either neutralise the gases or stop them being produced in the first place. They're hoping to use this to stop cows from emiting greenhouse gasses in an atempt to stop global warming so we can all still use cars.

Sounds good to me.

No, no, no, this tampering with nature has gone to far, can you imagine the taste of meat from a fartless cow, i for one will be out in the field with my placard saying allow cows their flatulence.:approve:

1). Where does the carbon in the cow's gas come from?

2). Where did the carbon in that come from?

And then you have to factor in the carbon that went towards making the cow.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
1). Where does the carbon in the cow's gas come from?

2). Where did the carbon in that come from?

And then you have to factor in the carbon that went towards making the cow.

I did hear, on the grape vine, that the union of ovbovs were thinking on a
march to London, to protest about humans polluting the countryside.

I keep telling you not to confuse grape plants with telephones. You had better clean out your ear.

1. What is the purpose of studying digestion in aquariums?

Studying digestion in aquariums allows scientists to understand the digestive processes of fish and how different factors, such as diet and water quality, can affect their health and behavior. This information can also be applied to improve the care and management of fish in aquariums and natural environments.

2. Do fish actually break wind?

Yes, fish do release gases from their digestive system, which can be considered their version of breaking wind. However, it is not as noticeable as in mammals because fish do not have a separate anal opening for gas to escape.

3. How can digestion be observed in aquariums?

There are several ways to observe digestion in aquariums. One method is to feed fish a colored food and observe their waste to track the movement of food through their digestive system. Another way is to use a microscope to observe the breakdown of food particles in the fish's stomach.

4. Can fish digestion be affected by the aquarium environment?

Yes, the aquarium environment can have a significant impact on fish digestion. Factors such as water temperature, pH, and the presence of toxic substances can affect the activity of enzymes and bacteria in the fish's digestive system, leading to digestive issues and health problems.

5. How can studying digestion in aquariums help in the conservation of fish species?

Understanding the digestive processes of fish can provide valuable information for the conservation of endangered fish species. By studying the diet and digestion of these species, scientists can develop better conservation strategies, such as providing appropriate food sources and improving water quality, to help these fish thrive in their natural habitats.