Do graduate schools (Physics) care if youre a 5th year undergrad?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not completing a 5th year of undergraduate studies negatively affects graduate school applications. The consensus is that it does not, as long as the student has valid reasons for taking an extra year, such as working full-time or participating in a co-op program. The conversation also mentions the issue of overcrowded classes and budget cuts leading to longer completion times for undergraduates. Ultimately, the panel agrees that it is better to take an extra year and have a solid degree rather than rush through and have a weaker application.
nasijen
Title says it all. I've heard some schools don't like 5th year undergrads, is there a general truth to this from what you guys have heard, if you ever have?

Thanks ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also mention I'm a double major.

There's no truth to it that I'm aware of.

Of course, a lot can depend on circumstances. If you took 5 years to complete your undergrad because you flunked out or had to repeat a few courses, that's not going to look good on your application. If you took 5 years because you had to work full time to afford it, took more than a standard number of courses, or did a co-op program, it's unlikely to have any bearing on the application.

Getting a degree in 4 years is starting to sound quaint. Here in California, students at state schools can't get the courses they need to graduate in 4 years, simply due to the state budget crisis. It kills me when students work 40 hours a week and take 22 units, on the theory that they "can't be in school forever" -- then they fail half their classes and have to repeat them.

nasijen said:
Title says it all. I've heard some schools don't like 5th year undergrads, is there a general truth to this from what you guys have heard, if you ever have?

I don't think graduate schools care, and it's far better to do it in 5 years with a solid degree then try to rush things in 4 years and then have a less than stellar application.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I've heard a load of bullocks then. I figured completion time doesn't matter as much as how your grades, GRE, which courses you've taken (grad courses perhaps), etc.

Related to Do graduate schools (Physics) care if youre a 5th year undergrad?

1. Will graduate schools care if I take a fifth year as an undergraduate in Physics?

It depends on the reason for taking a fifth year. If it is due to a change in major, a heavy course load, or other extenuating circumstances, graduate schools will likely understand and not penalize you for it. However, if it is due to academic struggles or a lack of motivation, it may raise some concerns.

2. Does taking a fifth year affect my chances of getting into a top graduate program?

Graduate schools typically look at a variety of factors when considering applicants, including grades, test scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation. While taking a fifth year may not be ideal, it is not a determining factor in itself. As long as you maintain a strong academic record and have other strengths, it should not negatively impact your chances.

3. Can I use my fifth year to improve my application for graduate school?

Yes, taking a fifth year can provide an opportunity to strengthen your application by taking more advanced courses, conducting research, or gaining relevant work experience. It is important to use this extra time wisely and demonstrate your dedication and passion for the field.

4. Will graduate schools ask for an explanation for taking a fifth year?

Some graduate schools may ask for an explanation for taking a fifth year in your application or during an interview. It is important to be honest and provide a valid reason, such as a change in major or a desire to take more challenging courses. Showing that you are proactive and motivated can actually work in your favor.

5. Are there any benefits to taking a fifth year as an undergraduate before applying to graduate school?

There can be several benefits to taking a fifth year as an undergraduate. It can give you more time to explore your interests and narrow down your research interests. It can also allow you to gain more research experience, improve your academic record, and strengthen your overall application for graduate school.