Do I Need a Specific Laptop for My ChE Curriculum?

In summary, the ChE student is considering a laptop for use at their community college and university. They're looking for something that is portable, powerful, and has a long battery life. They also recommend looking into Dell laptops, as their after sale service is good.
Jacasselman
Hi,

I'm a ChE student at a community college right now doing the transfer program to a 4 year university where I will resume my education as a junior in the Fall 12 semester. I'm thinking that I will need a laptop; I'm not that great with specs and hardware however. So any advice?

I'm trying to keep it at or under $800.
I've also been looking at the dell xps 14z, but can't find any decent reviews for it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
to be honest, i never feel the need for a laptop. The only exception is when you really need to type something up before the assignment deadline or something. But throughout my 3 years of bachelors study i never feel it necessary to have a laptop. There should be enough computer in the university anyway.

Although if you really want one, before giving you any advice, what sort of laptop are you looking for? something to consider are:
-portability
-processing power (including, will you need hardware acceleration?)
-battery life

dell laptops are okay in general. things may be different in the states but over here their after sale services are superb. The hardware itself is a little bulky i find. Also if you really want a dell i would recommend the vostro (typical for small business user) instead of the xps.

brands are mostly personal preferences, for me i would look at ASUS and Sony first. I bought the dell purely for their service and price (and a couple of friends that work there). The only reason i bought one is because a lot of the software i need are not installed in the university's computers and it is nice to sit down and do work in a quiet library instead of those noisy computer labs

Check if the university has any course-related software that you can install on your own computer, and then buy a machine with the right spec to run that software. (The uni should be able to give you a shortlist to choose from).

They might have a special pricing deal with a preferred supplier, because their tech support people have an easier time if most people are using the same model of computer.

1. What are the minimum hardware requirements for a laptop to run ChE software?

The minimum hardware requirements for a laptop to run ChE software may vary depending on the specific software, but generally, it should have at least 8GB of RAM, a quad-core processor, and a dedicated graphics card. It is also recommended to have a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster performance.

2. Is a touchscreen necessary for a ChE curriculum laptop?

No, a touchscreen is not necessary for a ChE curriculum laptop. While it may be helpful for some tasks, it is not a requirement for running ChE software. However, if your budget allows for it, a touchscreen can provide a more interactive and user-friendly experience.

3. Can I use a Mac or Linux laptop for a ChE curriculum?

Yes, you can use a Mac or Linux laptop for a ChE curriculum. However, some ChE software may only be compatible with Windows operating systems. In this case, you may need to use a virtual machine or boot camp to run the software on your Mac or Linux laptop.

4. Do I need to purchase a specific brand or model of laptop for a ChE curriculum?

No, you do not need to purchase a specific brand or model of laptop for a ChE curriculum. As long as the laptop meets the minimum hardware requirements and can run the necessary software, any brand or model will suffice. It is recommended to do some research and read reviews to find a reliable and durable laptop.

5. Are there any recommended software or programs that should be installed on a ChE curriculum laptop?

It is recommended to have a spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, and a word processing program, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, installed on your ChE curriculum laptop. Additionally, the specific ChE software required for your coursework should also be installed. Your university or program may have a list of recommended software for ChE students.