Physics undergrad looking to buy a new laptop

In summary, the first year physics student is struggling to find a laptop that meets his needs and budget. He's leaning towards a Lenovo laptop with 8GB of RAM and dual core processing, but is also open to other brands. He's concerned about the price and whether he'll be able to use the laptop for his coursework next semester.
starstruck_
Hey! So, I’m a first year physics student and I’m (finally) getting a new laptop. I bought an acer laptop with 4 GB RAM and dual core processing at the beginning of high school, just something to get me through, but it’s not working for me anymore. It’s super slow, freezes a lot ( I lost a 10 make question on an online assignment because the thing froze up), and can never seem to connect to the internet properly.

The problem that I’m finding is that what I’m going for doesn’t seem to fall under my budget unless it’s a refurb and I’ve never bought a refurb before so I’m not sure how good of an idea that is ( I am going to wait for Black Friday or cyber Monday though, if that makes any difference on a brand new one)

This is kind of what I’m leaning towards:

. 8 GB RAM
. Dual core processing
. Light weight (I commute)

I’m not really sure what other specs I require.
Uh I guess another important piece of information is that I have my computing for the physical sciences course next semester and we use MATLAB in that course. That’s about it.

I’m also not trying to go back to acer again, preferably dell or HP. I can’t afford a Mac.

My budget is a huge problem (we’re low income) so even this is kind of stretching it but uh $600-650 max

Computer science news on Phys.org
The general rule of thumb is to upgrade once every five years for personal machines and once every three years for business machines unless you work at a frugal business (university...) and then its whenever.

So it looks like you've hit the five year marker with your ASUS. Have you considered trying Linux on it? and upgrade the memory to 8GB?

That might give you some life back in the machine. Of course, that kills it as a gaming machine but since you're in college that shouldn't matter...

For a laptop, you've pretty discounted every major brand and you shouldn't go with one that's not a major brand. The only thing I can think of is a Lenovo machine.
Perhaps a thinkpad or an ideapad:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-13-series/ThinkPad-13-Windows-2nd-Gen/p/22TP2TX133E

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?IPromoID=LEN246141

You could check out the reviews on Amazon or Google for them. You can check them out at Bestbuy if its nearby.

Likes ISamson and WWGD
jedishrfu said:
The general rule of thumb is to upgrade once every five years for personal machines and once every three years for business machines unless you work at a frugal business (university...) and then its whenever.

So it looks like you've hit the five year marker with your ASUS. Have you considered trying Linux on it? and upgrade the memory to 8GB?

That might give you some life back in the machine. Of course, that kills it as a gaming machine but since you're in college that shouldn't matter...

For a laptop, you've pretty discounted every major brand and you shouldn't go with one that's not a major brand. The only thing I can think of is a Lenovo machine.
Perhaps a thinkpad or an ideapad:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-13-series/ThinkPad-13-Windows-2nd-Gen/p/22TP2TX133E

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?IPromoID=LEN246141

You could check out the reviews on Amazon or Google for them. You can check them out at Bestbuy if its nearby.

Oh I just meant anything other than an Acer, I didn’t enjoy my acer- I was looking into dell and hp because I’m also used to those.
Upgrading would have been a good idea if I didn’t commute, it’s kind of heavy to carry around on my commute.

The Lenovo thinkpad crossed my mind too, if I took that and then upgraded with Linux ? It would at least last me the duration of my degree, right?

One would hope so. Ask around with students and profs who use MATLAB on a laptop and see what they have before you spill some bucks for it.

MATLAB can run on Intel based machine running Windows, Macosx or Linux.

https://www.mathworks.com/hardware-support/system-requirements.html

If you want something similar to MATLAB then there's FreeMat (my favorite), Octave and Scilab(?) or you can go the route of numerical python with scipy and numpy or the route of Julia (matlab like language) but each of these lacks the scope of Matlab and all it can do.

MATLAB has a cheap price for students as it hopes you will demand it when you start working and then the company will pay the big bucks via individual or site licenses to get it.

I'm using an Ideapad 110 with Linux and for private home use (including a bit of CAS-calculations) it is totally fine. The cost effectiveness is high and using Linux you always save some system ressources compared to Windows. So if Ideapad or Thinkpad, Lenovo should indeed be a good choice for you.

Metmann said:
I'm using an Ideapad 110 with Linux and for private home use (including a bit of CAS-calculations) it is totally fine. The cost effectiveness is high and using Linux you always save some system ressources compared to Windows. So if Ideapad or Thinkpad, Lenovo should indeed be a good choice for you.

I’ve been looking and I found the Lenovo Ideapad 510s with i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, good enough? It’s like $624.99.

starstruck_ said:
I’ve never bought a refurb before so I’m not sure how good of an idea that is
Not very.

The two things that usually fail are the disk drive and the battery. If you have the time, experience, and budget to replace those items, a refurb is a possibility.

Refurb disk drives, even from reputable manufacturers, seem to be not thouroughly tested, even as bare drives. I've bought 5 or six refurbed drives and kept one; all the others failed a complete surface scan. The one i kept turned out to have a thermal problem above 81F (27C) that I discovered after the short warranty expired.

Batteries I'm just wary of. It only takes one or two times of full discharge and letting them sit that way for a few weeks.

starstruck_ said:
I’ve been looking and I found the Lenovo Ideapad 510s with i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, good enough? It’s like $624.99.

That should be more than enough. I don't think there's much reason to worry about specifications and performance unless you're planning to do a lot of compute intensive work (which it is unlikely you would be asked to do in an assignment). I run all sorts of software (including Matlab, occasionally) on my laptop (a ThinkPad I bought in 2011 and am still using) without any problems. If anything my experience is that the real resource hog is Firefox. So I think if you have a laptop that can comfortably play YouTube videos in HD then it should be able to run any science-related software you're likely to need it to.

It's also worth seeing if the problems with your existing laptop are fixable. I think Windows installations have a tendency to get cluttered and degrade over time, so it's possible that simply reinstalling Windows or installing a Linux distribution could get you a working laptop again.

wle said:
That should be more than enough. I don't think there's much reason to worry about specifications and performance unless you're planning to do a lot of compute intensive work (which it is unlikely you would be asked to do in an assignment). I run all sorts of software (including Matlab, occasionally) on my laptop (a ThinkPad I bought in 2011 and am still using) without any problems. If anything my experience is that the real resource hog is Firefox. So I think if you have a laptop that can comfortably play YouTube videos in HD then it should be able to run any science-related software you're likely to need it to.

It's also worth seeing if the problems with your existing laptop are fixable. I think Windows installations have a tendency to get cluttered and degrade over time, so it's possible that simply reinstalling Windows or installing a Linux distribution could get you a working laptop again.
Thank you! Gah I wish my laptop was commute friendly but I find it harder to carry my laptop than my James Stewart calculus textbook (supposed to last me 3 terms) [emoji22].

look on microcenter.com for open box deals, you can usually get a decent laptop reasonably.

I used Linux on an old laptop for years and ran octave as a clone to MATLAB and was fairly happy with it. I now have a desktop that I run the student version of MATLAB on and only pay ~$100 a year to keep it running.

1. What are the minimum specifications I should look for in a laptop for physics?

As a physics undergraduate, it is important to have a laptop with at least an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster data processing and storage. A dedicated graphics card is also recommended for simulations and data visualization.

2. Is a Mac or PC better for physics majors?

Both Mac and PC laptops can work well for physics majors. However, some software used in physics research may only be compatible with one operating system. It is recommended to check with your specific program or research project for compatibility before making a decision.

3. How much storage do I need for a physics laptop?

The amount of storage you need will depend on your personal needs. However, since physics research involves working with large datasets and simulations, it is recommended to have at least 256GB of storage. You may also consider external hard drives for additional storage space.

4. Are touchscreen laptops useful for physics students?

While touchscreen laptops can be convenient for everyday use, they are not essential for physics students. Most physics software and programming languages do not require a touchscreen, so it is not necessary to prioritize this feature when looking for a laptop.

5. Can I use a gaming laptop for physics research?

Gaming laptops often have high-end processors and graphics cards, which can be beneficial for physics research and simulations. However, they may also be more expensive and heavier than traditional laptops. It is important to consider your budget and portability needs before investing in a gaming laptop for physics.