Do I use instrument error or arithmetic mean error?

In summary, the uncertainty in the measurement can be determined by either taking the instrument error or the arithmetic mean error.
MartinTheStudent
Hi.
Let's say I have data which I have measured. For example I measured a length of an object and the measurment was repeated 5 times. An instrument which I used to measure has an error, value of which I know.

My options are to either to just go with the instrument error (probably not, right?) or to calculate the arithmetic mean error from my statistics and go with that. Or I could calculate both and add them together somehow.
Which one of these?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:

Thanks for a quick response, but it does not answer my question at all. I read all of it, but it is not what I would like to know.

I am asking whether I should use the arithmetic mean error (standard error) to determine the uncertainity in my measurement, or if I should take the instrument error into the calculation of the uncertainity. If so, how?
Thanks in advance!

The only defensible thing to do is to use the larger of the two.
You can not use a value that is less than the known instrument error. The instrument might have a constant error bias which would not show up in a sample variance. So you can not use a smaller sample variance. If the sample variance is larger than the known instrument error, then you know that the larger sample error is coming from something. You can't ignore it.

Likes MartinTheStudent
That sounds reasonable, thank you. :smile:
FactChecker said:
The instrument might have a constant error bias which would not show up in a sample variance.
If i understand it right, the instrument's error could be a constant, not a different error each time we measure. Then the samples would be all in a smaller region. Which means the variance would be smaller, right?

MartinTheStudent said:
That sounds reasonable, thank you. :smile:

If i understand it right, the instrument's error could be a constant, not a different error each time we measure. Then the samples would be all in a smaller region. Which means the variance would be smaller, right?
Right. I guess that if your goal is just to determine the sample variance, then you should use the sample variance. If your goal is to draw conclusions about the uncertainty of the length, then you need to use the larger of the sample variance or the known instrument uncertainty.

Likes MartinTheStudent
FactChecker said:
The only defensible thing to do is to use the larger of the two.
You can not use a value that is less than the known instrument error. The instrument might have a constant error bias which would not show up in a sample variance. So you can not use a smaller sample variance. If the sample variance is larger than the known instrument error, then you know that the larger sample error is coming from something. You can't ignore it.
Or add both in quadrature to be conservative. Your sampling error could be independent of a constant offset of the measurement device.

Likes FactChecker
mfb said:
Or add both in quadrature to be conservative. Your sampling error could be independent of a constant offset of the measurement device.
Good point if you want a conservative number. I thought about that. But then I thought that the known uncertainty of the instrument might (should?) already include the errors of the typical use of it. So I left my comment as-is. You might be more correct.

Thank you guys.

1. What is instrument error and how is it different from arithmetic mean error?

Instrument error refers to the natural variability in measurements due to limitations in the precision and accuracy of the instrument being used. On the other hand, arithmetic mean error is the difference between the average measured value and the true value of a quantity. So, while instrument error is inherent to the instrument itself, arithmetic mean error is a result of human error or random fluctuations in data.

2. Which type of error should I use in my analysis?

This depends on the purpose of your analysis. If you are interested in evaluating the performance of your instrument, then instrument error should be used. However, if you want to assess the accuracy of your measurements, then arithmetic mean error would be more appropriate.

3. Can I use both instrument error and arithmetic mean error in my analysis?

Yes, you can use both types of error in your analysis. In fact, it is recommended to report both instrument error and arithmetic mean error to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the data.

4. How do I calculate instrument error and arithmetic mean error?

Instrument error can be calculated by taking repeated measurements with the same instrument and calculating the standard deviation of those measurements. Arithmetic mean error can be calculated by taking the average of the measured values and subtracting it from the true value.

5. Is it possible to eliminate instrument error and arithmetic mean error?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate these types of error. However, they can be reduced by using more precise and accurate instruments, taking multiple measurements, and following proper measurement techniques.