How to statistically calculate the final value?

Lotto
TL;DR Summary
Let us say we have conducted two measurments with aim to determine an acceleration of our object. We have from both measurements:
1.##t_1 \pm \Delta t_1##, ##s_1 \pm \Delta s_1##
2. ##t_2\pm \Delta t_2##, ##s_2 \pm \Delta s_2##.

To calculate ##a## we use ##s=\frac 12 a t^2##.

How to determine the final value of ##a \pm \Delta a##?
My steps would be that I would first calculated ##a_1## and ##a_2##, determined by using that formula with partial derivatives its errors, and then I would made an arithmetic mean of ##a_1## and ##a_2##. I am not sure how to determine the final error, but I think I can use this formula

##\Delta a=\frac{a_1 \frac{1}{{\Delta a_1}^2}+a_2 \frac{1}{{\Delta a_2}^2}}{\frac{1}{{\Delta a_1}^2}+\frac{1}{{\Delta a_2}^2}}##.

But shouldn't I also do a standard deviation of ##a_1## and ##a_2## from ##a## and then calculate the final error by using a general formula

##\sigma=\sqrt{{\sigma_A}^2+{\sigma_B}^2}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you only have two measurements, a statistically calculated uncertainty is not very meaningful. You have no clue whether the value of the acceleration from a third measurement will be higher than the larger value, lower than the smaller value or in-between the two. In my opinion, you need at least three data points before you start worrying about uncertainties. If you have only two, I would say consider half the difference between the two values as an estimate of your uncertainty. Uncertainties are fuzzy, the fewer data points you have, the fuzzier they become.

Likes Dale
Lotto said:
To calculate ##a## we use ##s=\frac 12 a t^2##.
This formula assumes that the acceleration is constant, the velocity at ##t=0## is 0, and the speed at ##t=0## is also 0. Is that valid?

Likes nasu
kuruman said:
When you only have two measurements, a statistically calculated uncertainty is not very meaningful. You have no clue whether the value of the acceleration from a third measurement will be higher than the larger value, lower than the smaller value or in-between the two. In my opinion, you need at least three data points before you start worrying about uncertainties. If you have only two, I would say consider half the difference between the two values as an estimate of your uncertainty. Uncertainties are fuzzy, the fewer data points you have, the fuzzier they become.
OK, so let's say I have 10+ measurements and that we suppose that the movement is with a constant acceleration. All I want to know is the general principle I can apply in such cases, my measuring of the acceleration was just an example.

Last edited:
Lotto said:
OK, so let's say I have 10+ measurements and that we suppose that the movement is with a constant acceleration. All I want to know is the general principle I can apply in such cases, my measuring of the acceleration was just an example.
OK, so in that case you will be using a statistical software to estimate your acceleration (or whatever). The statistical software will give you the estimate of your parameter ##a## a standard error or some other estimate of the uncertainty of ##a##. You can just use that directly as ##\Delta a## if you think that only the statistical errors are important.

If you believe that there are also important systematic uncertainties then you can include them as $$\Delta a =\sqrt{\Delta a_{\text{statistical}}^2+\Delta a_{\text{systematic}}^2}$$

Likes vanhees71
Are you sure that you have a different error on all ##s## and ##t## measurements? I am asking, because it really makes it more complicated than high school math. Generally you would want to convert errors in x-direction into y-errors and than proceed normally. If this is not possible or the errors in ##s## and ##t## are not Gaussian or the conventional methods will yield a bias in your particular experiment, then you have to do a bootstrap.
One of the conventional methods is a ##\chi^2## fit. In your case I would minimize $$\chi^2=\sum_i \frac{(s_i-\frac{1}{2}at_i^2)^2}{\sigma^2_{s_i} +(\frac{\partial 0.5at^2}{\partial t^2})^2\sigma^2_{t^2_i}}$$. Note that I use the error of ##t_i^2## not just ##t_i##. Now you would have to find ##\frac{\partial \chi^2}{\partial a}##, set it equal to 0 and solve for a. If the errors on ##s## and ##t## are Gaussian, then you can use something like $$\Delta a=\sqrt{\sum_i (\partial_{s_i} a \Delta s_i)^2+(\partial_{t_i^2} a \Delta t_i^2)^2}$$, but to be safe better derive it yourself.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Leopold89 said:
Are you sure that you have a different error on all ##s## and ##t## measurements? I am asking, because it really makes it more complicated than high school math. Generally you would want to convert errors in x-direction into y-errors and than proceed normally. If this is not possible or the errors in ##s## and ##t## are not Gaussian or the conventional methods will yield a bias in your particular experiment, then you have to do a bootstrap.
One of the conventional methods is a ##\chi^2## fit. In your case I would minimize $$\chi^2=\sum_i \frac{(s_i-\frac{1}{2}at_i^2)^2}{\sigma^2_{s_i} +(\frac{\partial 0.5at^2}{\partial t^2})^2\sigma^2_{t^2_i}}$$. Note that I use the error of ##t_i^2## not just ##t_i##. Now you would have to find ##\frac{\partial \chi^2}{\partial a}##, set it equal to 0 and solve for a. If the errors on ##s## and ##t## are Gaussian, then you can use something like $$\Delta a=\sqrt{\sum_i (\partial_{s_i} a \Delta s_i)^2+(\partial_{t_i^2} a \Delta t_i^2)^2}$$, but to be safe better derive it yourself.
And if the systematic errors for ##t## and ##s## were all the same, so ##\Delta t##, ##\Delta s##, what would it looked like?

Should I calculate a standard deviation of my values ##a_1, a_2, ...## and calculate a weighted arithmetic mean of errors ##\Delta a_1, \Delta a_2, ...##? I would then add them by using that formula with square roots. Would it be a legal way to do it?

And the final ##a## would be just an arithmetic mean of ##a_1, a_2, ...##?

Lotto said:
And if the systematic errors for ##t## and ##s## were all the same, so ##\Delta t##, ##\Delta s##, what would it looked like?

Should I calculate a standard deviation of my values ##a_1, a_2, ...## and calculate a weighted arithmetic mean of errors ##\Delta a_1, \Delta a_2, ...##? I would then add them by using that formula with square roots. Would it be a legal way to do it?

And the final ##a## would be just an arithmetic mean of ##a_1, a_2, ...##?
Possible. You could use the GLS, after converting ##\Delta t## to ##\Delta s##. Then you can try to rewrite the estimator ##\hat \beta## such that it looks like an average.

P.S. No, it does not work with the mean. Here is an example, where you can see that the estimator is not the mean.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the final value using statistical methods?

To calculate the final value using statistical methods, you would typically use a formula that takes into account the individual data points and their corresponding weights. One common method is to use a weighted average, where each data point is multiplied by its weight and then summed up to get the final value.

2. What statistical techniques can be used to calculate the final value?

Some common statistical techniques that can be used to calculate the final value include regression analysis, analysis of variance (ANOVA), and principal component analysis (PCA). These techniques can help you analyze the relationship between variables and determine the final value based on the data.

3. How do you determine the weights of individual data points in statistical calculations?

The weights of individual data points in statistical calculations can be determined based on various factors such as the importance or reliability of the data point. For example, you may assign higher weights to data points that are more accurate or representative of the overall trend, while assigning lower weights to outliers or less reliable data points.

4. What is the significance of statistical calculations in determining the final value?

Statistical calculations are significant in determining the final value as they provide a systematic and objective way to analyze data and draw conclusions. By using statistical methods, you can account for variability in the data, identify patterns or trends, and make informed decisions based on the results.

5. How can statistical software help in calculating the final value?

Statistical software can help in calculating the final value by providing tools and functions that automate the statistical calculations and analysis. These software programs often have built-in algorithms for performing various statistical techniques, making it easier to process large datasets and generate accurate final values efficiently.