Do internships exist for people with Bachelor's degrees?

In summary, the individual is looking to improve their standing for graduate school despite having a low GPA of 2.6. They are considering work experience, good GRE scores, and letters of recommendation to make up for it, but it is unlikely to be successful due to the difficulty in finding post-BS internships. They are also considering returning to school at a community college and finding an internship through that route, but it is uncertain if there are any IT-related internships available. The advice given is to consider pursuing a different field of study or a professional certificate program instead of attempting to improve their GPA for physics graduate school.
Summetros
I'm trying to improve my standing for grad school. I graduated with a terrible gpa (2.6) and I'm hoping that maybe work experience combined with good GRE scores and letters of recommendation could make up for it. And if that doesn't work at least I'd have something to put on my resume.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unpaid internships that are not affiliated with a school can very easily fall afoul of minimum wage and other labor laws. That's why post-BS ones are as scarce as hen's teeth.

To clarify, they don't have to be physics based. Are there internships in other fields that take more than undergrads?

Vanadium 50 said:
Unpaid internships that are not affiliated with a school can very easily fall afoul of minimum wage and other labor laws. That's why post-BS ones are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Would Summetros be able to return to school at a community college under a different major field objective and be able to find an internship through his community college?

I don't know the details of community college internships, but I don't think one in HVAC or auto mechanics will be terribly helpful for getting into graduate school.

I also don't think an internship will be helpful. A 2.6 is very low. It sends the message that you couldn't keep up with undergraduate work. Graduate work is harder, and departments don't want to admit someone who they think will not complete the program: either by having a GPA that was too low or by failing the qualifying exam. An internship will not address this.

My aim (and it's a long shot) is to try and convince schools by showing that my gpa is acceptable when looking at major related classes only. My gpa is low because I did terribly in required humanities and social sciences electives. Are there maybe IT related internships for community colleges?

Summetros said:
My aim (and it's a long shot) is to try and convince schools by showing that my gpa is acceptable when looking at major related classes only. My gpa is low because I did terribly in required humanities and social sciences electives. Are there maybe IT related internships for community colleges?

I do not know. You will have to check with them (the community colleges). Maybe you might make a choice midway between what I and Vanadium50 said. Look into something for practical skill, as Vanadium suggests that graduate school is not a likely idea.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know the details of community college internships, but I don't think one in HVAC or auto mechanics will be terribly helpful for getting into graduate school.

I also don't think an internship will be helpful. A 2.6 is very low. It sends the message that you couldn't keep up with undergraduate work. Graduate work is harder, and departments don't want to admit someone who they think will not complete the program: either by having a GPA that was too low or by failing the qualifying exam. An internship will not address this.

Vanadium 50,

What are the best things that Summetros could do?

symbolipoint said:
Vanadium 50,

What are the best things that Summetros could do?

I'm obviously not Vanadium 50, nor am I a physics faculty member, but from my understanding, I think given the situation involved with his/her GPA, the OP should give up any thought of pursuing a graduate program in physics. The best option for him/her would be to pursue further study in a different field (with the possibility of graduate studies in that area, if he/she has any interest). One possibility would be to pursue a second bachelor's in, say, engineering or computer science, keeping in mind the reason why he/she had done so poorly in his/her GPA earlier, and taking extra care not to fall into the same mistakes again

Another possibility would be to pursue some professional certificate program that could lead to employment somewhere down the road (as Choppy had suggested in a separate thread that the OP had started in the Career Guidance section).

Vanadium 50, would you like to add anything further to what I suggested?

Likes symbolipoint
I don't have any specific advice. If you're in the bottom of the 9th, with two outs, nobody on, and 17 runs behind, I don't know what advice to give on how to win the ball game. But I do know that changing the organist is not it.

What are internships?

Internships are temporary work experiences that allow individuals to gain practical experience in a specific field or industry. They are typically offered to students or recent graduates, but some companies also offer internships to individuals with Bachelor's degrees.

Do internships exist for people with Bachelor's degrees?

Yes, internships do exist for people with Bachelor's degrees. Although internships are more commonly associated with students, many companies offer internships to individuals with Bachelor's degrees as well. These internships may be geared towards recent graduates or individuals looking to gain experience in a new field or industry.

What are the benefits of doing an internship with a Bachelor's degree?

There are many benefits to doing an internship with a Bachelor's degree. These include gaining practical experience in a specific field, networking with professionals in the industry, and potentially securing a job offer after the internship. Internships also allow individuals to explore different career paths and gain valuable skills that can enhance their resume.

How can I find internships for people with Bachelor's degrees?

There are several ways to find internships for people with Bachelor's degrees. One option is to search for internships on job search websites, such as Indeed or Glassdoor. Another option is to reach out to companies directly and inquire about internship opportunities. Additionally, career fairs and networking events can be great places to learn about internships for individuals with Bachelor's degrees.

What types of internships are available for people with Bachelor's degrees?

There are a variety of internships available for people with Bachelor's degrees. Some internships may be specialized in a particular field or industry, while others may be more general. Some examples of internships for individuals with Bachelor's degrees include marketing internships, finance internships, and technology internships. It is important to research and identify the types of internships that align with your interests and career goals.