Is there a good school to pursue a BS in Math (Online) degree?

In summary, the conversation suggests that there are pros and cons to pursuing an online degree, and that it's worth verifying the particulars before making a decision.
Math100
Currently, I am still in community college but I am not confident of getting admitted/accepted to Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) next year, although I've applied this fall as a transfer applicant. I want to know if there's a good school to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics (Online) degree with very flexible schedule options, because I am a bit tight with my current work schedule. I am a California resident and I looked up for such schools in California but without any look. A lot of people suggested/recommended me to enroll at Indiana University to obtain such online degree but the issue is that I don't know if employers would hire graduates with such degrees. Are they the same as traditional, regular degrees earned from schools such as Cal State Universities?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
The first question to ask is if employers will even know it's an online degree. Some places I believe you get a degree with the same name, from the same school l, as if you were on campus. I'm not sure if the transcripts say anything to indicate if it was online. If it all looks the same, then you should feel a bit more confident that you're getting something the school is happy to stamp as the same as an on campus experience.

https://www.iu.edu/life-at-iu/online.html

With IU Online, you get the same IU degree as in a traditional classroom setting, but you have the convenience and flexibility of online classes that fit your schedule. Once you apply to IU Online as an undergraduate, you’ll be assigned to an IU campus that offers your degree program, so you can access that campus’s student resources

For Indiana university, it seems like this is the case, though it's probably worth verifying by asking a person there. There are still some pitfalls to watch out for. For example, if you're going to Indiana university it might matter a lot if you get assigned to the Bloomington campus. I'm not familiar with IU specifically, but I know if you got a degree from University of Michigan, Dearborn, then it would not be the same as a degree from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. I think those are technically separate schools, so IU might work differently (in particular, does the assignment of campus change what your degree says?)

I'm not really an expert on this, so hopefully other people with better thoughts can chime in also.

• Informative
Likes Math100 and berkeman
Thank you for the help!

Likes berkeman

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a BS in Math degree online?

There are several benefits to pursuing a BS in Math degree online. Firstly, online programs offer flexibility and convenience, allowing students to complete coursework on their own schedule. Additionally, online programs often have lower tuition costs and eliminate the need for commuting or relocating. Online programs also offer a wide range of resources, such as virtual tutoring and online study groups, to support student learning.

2. How do online BS in Math programs compare to traditional on-campus programs?

Online BS in Math programs are generally comparable to traditional on-campus programs in terms of curriculum and academic rigor. However, online programs may have a different format and structure, with more emphasis on self-directed learning and less face-to-face interaction with professors and peers. It is important to research and compare different online programs to find one that best fits your learning style and goals.

3. Are online BS in Math programs accredited?

Yes, many online BS in Math programs are accredited by recognized accrediting bodies. It is important to ensure that the program you are considering is accredited by a reputable agency, such as the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Accreditation ensures that the program meets certain standards of quality and can be recognized by potential employers or other academic institutions.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a BS in Math degree?

A BS in Math degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, education, and research. Graduates with a BS in Math may work as data analysts, actuaries, financial analysts, or statisticians, among other roles. The demand for professionals with strong mathematical skills is expected to continue to grow, making a BS in Math a valuable degree in the job market.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from an online BS in Math program?

An online BS in Math program will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical principles and concepts, as well as practical skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. You will also develop skills in computer programming and mathematical modeling, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, online programs often offer opportunities for students to specialize in a particular area of math, such as statistics or applied mathematics.