Do most exit signs have tritium?

• Thread starter justamom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tritium
In summary: OCD, and they can help you. You should also consider seeing a psychiatrist. In summary, it is unlikely that you and your family suffered any harm even if the exit sign was powered by tritium. The amount of tritium gas inside these signs is small and you would have needed to be in the immediate vicinity at the time the sign broke before the gas entirely dissipated. And even if you had been there when the sign broke the danger is still very tiny.
justamom
TL;DR Summary
Exit sign not lit, wondering if tritium came out and exposed my kids
I have a quick question but do you know if all exit signs have tritium? Took my kids to Disneyland today and on one of the indoor rides, the exit sign was not lit, the other ones were lit red but the one next to us was not lit, wondering if it was tritium and maybe broken and the tritium came out and we inhaled it? And for tritium ones, is each letter individually contained in its own tube so that if it’s broken, it would be like one or two letters not lit but the others still lit? For this one, all 4 letters were not lit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Astronuc
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is extremely unlikely that you and your family suffered any harm even if the exit sign was powered by tritium. The amount of tritium gas inside these signs is small and you would have needed to be in the immediate vicinity at the time the sign broke before the gas entirely dissipated. And even if you had been there when the sign broke the danger is still very tiny. And that's assuming the sign was a tritium sign. There's a good chance it wasn't.

justamom said:
Summary:: Exit sign not lit, wondering if tritium came out and exposed my kids

I have a quick question but do u know if all exit signs have tritium? Took my kids to Disneyland today and on one of the indoor rides, the exit sign was not lit, the other ones were lit red but the one next to us was not lit, wondering if it was tritium and maybe broken and the tritium came out and we inhaled it? And for tritium ones, is each letter individually contained in its own tube so that if it’s broken, it would be like one or two letters not lit but the others still lit? For this one, all 4 letters were not lit.
One would have to enquire with Disneyland. It could be that the light was powered by electricity, and was without power, but without observing the sign we do not know.

If the sign was unlit (not glowing), and if it did contain tritium, the tritium is long gone. Again, one would have to notify Disneyland and request information on the particular sign.

With respect to signs with individual letters having their own tube, one would have to contact the manufacturer, but it is doubtful that there are separate tubes, since one would see the lack of phosphorescence (photoluminescence) between the letters under normal operation.

Astronuc said:
One would have to enquire with Disneyland. It could be that the light was powered by electricity, and was without power, but without observing the sign we do not know.

If the sign was unlit (not glowing), and if it did contain tritium, the tritium is long gone. Again, one would have to notify Disneyland and request information on the particular sign.

With respect to signs with individual letters having their own tube, one would have to contact the manufacturer, but it is doubtful that there are separate tubes, since one would see the lack of phosphorescence (photoluminescence) between the letters under normal operation.
I guess I’m wondering , how would one go about breaking a tritium exit sign? Does it need to be broken by trauma or force; like taking a hammer to it? We were stuck in front of the unlit sign for around 5 minutes. I keep thinking maybe it broke just as our ride stopped in front of it, but my rational side is telling me that someone would need to actually stand in front of the exit sign and forcefully hammer it in order to break the tritium glass? Not sure how that works..

@justamom -- In your other similar threads that you started earlier this year, we asked you to see a doctor about your OCD concerning radioactive contamination. I hope you have taken our advice. I will tie off this latest thread of yours with some quotes from your last couple of similar threads. Since I have not seen any PM from you about how your doctor visits went, this thread is now closed too.

justamom said:
I have really bad contamination OCD, it’s so hard for me to be logical because my brain keeps telling me I harmed my kids and baby somehow by contaminating them...

Vanadium 50 said:
Then you should seek professional help for that. We've told you your fears are illogical, you admit your fears are illogical, so going around the block more times isn't going to help you. You've successfully identified the root problem. Now you have to do something about it.

berkeman said:
This is good advice. @justamom -- OCD is not healthy, and you will worry your kids as they get older if you do not get help now. There are good therapies to help you deal with these obsessions, and your family doctor is a good resource to start with. Best of luck. This thread is now closed.

Thank you to all who have been trying to help. :smile:

russ_watters said:
It's really not rational in the way you are applying it, and I think you know that. You said in a prior post that you have "really bad contamination OCD". So you know - or at least have been told - that that's medical problem that can't be fixed with knowledge alone. We can help you with the knowledge (if you are truly listening), but please, please, please make sure you are being treated by a doctor for the underlying problem.

berkeman said:
This has been our advice at the end of your last couple of threads. Please do not start any more threads here with this theme until you can PM me about how your doctor visits have gone. Thank you.

Likes Mark44, jrmichler and anorlunda

1. What is tritium and why is it used in exit signs?

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen that emits low-energy beta particles. It is used in exit signs because it is a long-lasting and reliable source of light that does not require electricity.

2. Are all exit signs required to have tritium?

No, not all exit signs are required to have tritium. In fact, many newer exit signs use LED lights, which are more energy-efficient and do not contain any radioactive materials.

3. How long does the tritium in an exit sign last?

The half-life of tritium is about 12.3 years, so the light output of an exit sign with tritium will decrease by half every 12.3 years. However, most exit signs have a lifespan of 20-25 years before they need to be replaced.

4. Are there any safety concerns with tritium in exit signs?

Tritium is a low-energy beta emitter, meaning it does not pose a significant health risk unless ingested or inhaled in large quantities. However, it is important to properly dispose of old exit signs with tritium to prevent any potential environmental contamination.

5. How can I tell if an exit sign has tritium?

Exit signs with tritium will usually have a label or marking indicating that they contain radioactive material. Additionally, they will have a distinctive green or yellow glow, which is different from the white or red light emitted by LED exit signs.