Do not get Logarithmic antiderivatives

In summary, the antiderivative of $$\frac{1}{x}$$ is $$ln \vert x \vert $$. However, when computing the first derivative of the expression $$(x-a) ln (\vert x-a\vert)-x$$ and its equivalent expression $$(x-a) ln (\vert a -x\vert)-x$$, the results are not the same. The mistake may lie in the working or the answer given for the expressions. Further information is needed to determine the mistake.
muzialis
Dear All,

the antiderivative of $$\frac{1}{x}$$ is $$ln \vert x \vert $$.
If I then consider the expression $$ (x-a) ln (\vert x-a\vert)-x $$ and compute the first derivative I obtain $$ ln (\vert x-a \vert)$$.
If I then consider the equivalent expression $$ (x-a) ln (\vert a -x\vert)-x $$ I do not get the same result, where is my mistake??

Physics news on Phys.org
muzialis said:
If I then consider the equivalent expression $$ (x-a) ln (\vert a -x\vert)-x $$ I do not get the same result, where is my mistake??

We can't answer that unless you show us what answer you got. And your working.

1. What are logarithmic antiderivatives?

Logarithmic antiderivatives are the inverse functions of logarithmic functions. They represent the exponent that must be raised to a base in order to obtain a given input value.

2. Why should I not get logarithmic antiderivatives?

Logarithmic antiderivatives can be difficult to solve and may involve complex mathematical concepts. They are also not commonly used in practical applications.

3. Can I use a calculator to find logarithmic antiderivatives?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the capability to calculate logarithmic antiderivatives. However, it is important to understand the concept and process behind solving them manually.

4. Are there any real-life situations where logarithmic antiderivatives are used?

Logarithmic antiderivatives are commonly used in mathematical and scientific research, but they are not often used in everyday life. Some examples include calculating radioactive decay and population growth rates.

5. How can I learn to solve logarithmic antiderivatives?

Solving logarithmic antiderivatives requires a strong understanding of logarithmic functions and integration techniques. It is best to consult textbooks or online resources for step-by-step instructions and practice problems to improve your skills.