Do photons travel instantaneously?

In summary: It's like saying that the Earth is moving closer and closer to some stationary observer while the observer on Earth moves closer and closer to the stationary Earth.
weirdoguy said:
It does provide answers and you were given them multiple times. You are not reading what others are saying.
Perhaps you could summarise them for me and others would have kindly posted here.

• Sad
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Stevexyz said:
Perhaps you could summarise them for me and others would have kindly posted here.
You cannot define time for a photon. Thus asking about its experience of time is meaningless.

Likes Stevexyz
Some photons are traveling since the birth of the Universe and keep going forever. Some circularly polarized photons are created at light bulb, go 1m and annihilate in my eyes. @Stevexyz if photons were able to have conscience, would they recognize their life time forever/a period/zero period ? I am sorry for a silly story.

Likes Stevexyz
Ibix said:
You cannot define time for a photon. Thus asking about its experience of time is meaningless.
Is it therefore pointless trying to use special relativity to understand the "nature of time" for photons for other massless particles?

Stevexyz said:
Is it therefore pointless trying to use special relativity to understand the "nature of time" for photons

It's special relativity that tells us that you cannot define time for photons. This whole discussion is getting pointless, you're not trying to understand what people are saying.

Likes Stevexyz
The question, although inconsistent in itself, has been answered as good as possible ...
Ibix said:
... and we're running in circles.

Thanks for participating.

Likes Stevexyz and weirdoguy
Stevexyz said:
Is it therefore pointless trying to use special relativity to understand the "nature of time" for photons for other massless particles?
Not pointless - Special Relativity is the best starting point. But you will have to learn what SR says and to do that you’ll want to put some effort into a working through a good textbook; my favorite is “Spacetime Physics” by Taylor and Wheeler.

Likes vanhees71 and Stevexyz