Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spin projection operators in quantum chemistry and the manipulation of single Slater determinants using particle creation/annihilation operators. The operator ##a^\dagger \hat{O}_S## adds an electron in a spin orbital and can be expressed in terms of gamma matrices. The spin projected state can be written as a combination of determinants and acted upon by ##a^\dagger##.
Morberticus
I have bumped into a term

[itex]a^\dagger \hat{O}_S | \psi \rangle[/itex]

I would really like to operate on the slater determinant [itex]\psi[/itex] directly, but I fear I cannot. Is there any easy manipulation I can perform?

Physics news on Phys.org
where you got that and is that O something expressible in terms of gamma matrices?

What is a spin projection operator? The things that come to mind are single body operators, and you have a many body wavefunction. If it's something like the total Z component of the spin, then as a many body operator it would be written as \sum_i (n_up - n_down), which is a combination of creation/annihilation operators ... take your operator and express it in terms of particle creation/annihilation operators and then you can work out the commutation relation.

Spin projection operators are used e.g. in quantum chemistry. A single Slater determinant is in general not an eigenstate of spin, but such an eigenstate can be obtained using a projection operator.
If ##a^\dagger## adds an electron in a spin orbital, the new state will in general be a combination of states with with new spin S-1/2 and S+1/2.
In general you can write the spin projected state as a sum of determinants again and then act with ##a^\dagger## on each of it.

Related to Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

1. What is the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator?

The Creation Operator is a mathematical operation that is used in quantum mechanics to create a new particle or excitation in a quantum system. The Spin Projection Operator is a mathematical operation that projects the spin state of a particle onto a specific direction.

2. What does it mean for two operators to commute?

In quantum mechanics, two operators commute if their order of application does not affect the final result. In other words, if the operators A and B commute, then applying A followed by B will give the same result as applying B followed by A.

3. Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator always commute?

No, the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator do not always commute. In general, two operators will commute if and only if they have the same eigenstates, which is not the case for these two operators.

4. What is the significance of the commutativity of these operators?

The commutativity of operators in quantum mechanics can have various implications. In this case, the non-commutativity of the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator means that the order in which these operations are applied matters in determining the final state of a quantum system.

5. Is there a way to make the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator commute?

No, there is no way to make these operators commute. They inherently have different eigenstates and cannot be transformed into each other. However, there are other operators that do commute with the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator, such as the Total Angular Momentum Operator.