Do the planets revolve on a 2d plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the orbits of planets in a solar system and whether they all follow the same level or if they can orbit at different levels. It is mentioned that most solar systems have planets orbiting in a narrow plane, but it is possible for them to orbit at different levels. The false concept of electrons orbiting a nucleus is also addressed, and it is explained that they are actually bound by electron orbitals. The ecliptic plane is mentioned as well, and it is stated that it can wobble without causing Newtonian problems. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that it is possible for systems to have planets orbiting at different levels, but it is not a common occurrence.
j0nis0n
(my first post) so i was watching a video on einstein's general theory of relativity when i realized that every solar system diagram shows the planets revolving around the sun on a two dimensional plane. do they really revolve at all the same level of say..a flat zero degrees, or do they actually orbit the sun like the electrons do in a typical picture of an atom? this may be an elementary concept, but i couldn't find the answer on google. thanks for any explanations.

i do plan to take astronomy or astrophysics as a major in college next year. (:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In most systems we know of the planets orbit in a fairly narrow plane - within a few degrees. Most of our Solar System is within about 5-10 degrees though Pluto orbits 17 degrees off the plane.

This is also what we expect to find to the other solar systems we will discover - it is a natural part of solar system formation. The gas and dust that proto-systems form from will tend to coalesce in a particular plane.

BTW, the typical picture of an atom with electrons "orbiting" it is a false one. To understand how electrons are bound to the nucleus Google or Wiki "electron orbitals".

Last edited:
The eclipitc plane can wobble a great deal without creating Newtonian problems. In our solar system it wobbles as much as 23 degrees.

Chronos said:
The eclipitc plane can wobble a great deal without creating Newtonian problems. In our solar system it wobbles as much as 23 degrees.

The ecliptic plane is more-or-less fixed with respect to some inertial frame. It takes a lot of energy to change the orbital plane. What wobbles is not the orbital plane but the Earth itself. The Earth's rotation about its own axis precesses and nutates with respect to inertial. While the current obliquity of the ecliptic is about 23 degrees, it varies over a long period of time between 22 and 24.5 degrees.

Yes but let's not over-complicate the issue and drift from the OP's question. It seems to me he wants to know if we will find systems with planets orbiting perpendicularish to each other.

The answer is: it can happen by certain rare events, but generally orbitral mechanics very strongly discourages it.

thanks dave. that's the answer i wanted to hear. now i know the answer and then some more info.
but yes, i know a little about quantum mechanics that electrons are measured by the probability they are in a certain area rather than the path they follow around the atom's nucleus.

Related to Do the planets revolve on a 2d plane?

1. Do all planets revolve on the same 2D plane?

No, not all planets revolve on the same 2D plane. The planets in our solar system have different orbital planes, meaning they revolve at different angles relative to the Sun's equator. This is due to the way the planets formed and their orbital paths being influenced by other celestial bodies.

2. Why do the planets revolve on a 2D plane?

The planets revolve on a 2D plane due to the laws of gravity and momentum. When the solar system was formed, the gas and dust that made up the planets were spinning in the same direction. This created a disk-like shape, known as the protoplanetary disk, and as the planets formed from this disk, they inherited its rotation, resulting in their orbits being on a 2D plane.

3. Is the 2D plane of planetary orbits permanent?

No, the 2D plane of planetary orbits is not permanent. Over time, the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies can cause the orbits of planets to shift and change. This is why the orbital planes of some planets, such as Pluto, are tilted compared to the others in our solar system.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 2D plane of planetary orbits?

Yes, there are exceptions to the 2D plane of planetary orbits. Aside from the tilted orbits of some planets, there are also dwarf planets, comets, and asteroids that have highly inclined or even retrograde (backwards) orbits. These exceptions are often influenced by interactions with larger celestial bodies or gravitational disruptions.

5. Is it possible for a planet's orbit to change and become 2D?

No, it is not possible for a planet's orbit to change and become 2D. The laws of physics dictate that an object in motion will remain in motion in the same direction and at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, once a planet's orbit is established, it will remain on a 2D plane unless influenced by another force or object.