Do vacuum Ironing boards cause negative pressure in my Space

In summary, an HVAC system for a laundry building will extract 877 liters of hot air and moisture per second and will require outside "make-up" air flow. This air comes from the vacuum equipment and may cause negative pressure in the building. A heat exchange system may be necessary to avoid wasting energy and moisture.
tj00343
Hey,
I'm designing an HVAC system for a laundry building. I have vacuum equipment (Vacuum press and Vacuum Ironing boards ) in the space which have a vacuum outlet the is taken outside the building through individual ducts. When all machines are operational, 877 l/s of hot air and moisture would be extracted to the outside. My question is does this air come from the space it self and does this cause negative pressure in the building if it does and what are the usual solutions for dealing with this kind of case. I was thinking about providing fresh air to maintain positive pressure with a variable frequency drive motor controlled by a differential pressure sensor.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Most municipal HVAC codes require some amount of outside ‘make-up’ air flow. This should be sufficient.

What I wanted to know was in regards to the actual mechanism of the machine. Can we consider the vacuum outlet as an actual outflow from the space.

tj00343 said:
What I wanted to know was in regards to the actual mechanism of the machine.
You haven't provided enough detail to design it. Do you have a professional engineer designing this system for you? This type of facility is potentially pretty complicated and dangerous if not done correctly.
Can we consider the vacuum outlet as an actual outflow from the space.
It is.

Not far short of a cubic metre per second ? You will get leakage around doors and windows, but I'd recommend you 'manage' and distribute the in-flow via filtered and ducted air-con rather than passive perimeter vents.

Have you considered a heat exchange system ? You will be discarding a LOT of heat and moisture. I don't know your location or climate or weather range, but such may represent useful resource...

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
That's almost 2000 CFM of warm humid air. Join ASHRAE. Get their handbooks. Read the Handbook of Fundamentals first. The answers to all of your questions are in there. They also answer the questions that you do not yet know to ask. Those are even more important.

You also need copies of relevant building codes. Building codes have rules for dealing with exhaust air flow and makeup air.

Do not try to reinvent the wheel. Find the right way, then adapt it to your specific requirements.

Likes Asymptotic, Nik_2213, anorlunda and 1 other person

1. How does a vacuum ironing board create negative pressure in my space?

When using a vacuum ironing board, the suction created by the vacuum pulls in air from your space. This creates a negative pressure zone around the ironing board, which helps to keep the fabric flat and wrinkle-free while ironing.

2. Is negative pressure created by a vacuum ironing board harmful to my health?

No, the negative pressure created by a vacuum ironing board is not harmful to your health. It is similar to the negative pressure created by a vacuum cleaner, which is commonly used in households without any negative health effects.

3. Can negative pressure from a vacuum ironing board affect the air quality in my space?

Yes, the negative pressure from a vacuum ironing board can affect the air quality in your space. It can pull in dust, lint, and other particles from your space, which may decrease the air quality. It is recommended to use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to minimize this effect.

4. Does the negative pressure from a vacuum ironing board affect the ironing process?

Yes, the negative pressure from a vacuum ironing board can affect the ironing process. It helps to keep the fabric taut, allowing for smoother and more efficient ironing. However, it is important to adjust the suction level according to the type of fabric being ironed to avoid any damage.

5. Can I use a vacuum ironing board in a small or poorly ventilated space?

It is not recommended to use a vacuum ironing board in a small or poorly ventilated space. The negative pressure created can pull in a considerable amount of air from the immediate surroundings, which may lead to a decrease in air quality and oxygen levels. It is best to use it in a well-ventilated area or open windows/doors to allow for proper air circulation.