Do you think it's better to post threads or to answer questions?

• Thread starter CallMeDirac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary, I think it's better to post threads than to answer questions because it's more fulfilling to answer questions.
CallMeDirac
Do you think it's better to post threads or to answer questions. Assumin`g the quality of the posts are the same as the questions you answer. On the forum you gain points and awards for likes and such. Which do you think is better for points and why.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a noob here myself and despite having a bunch of questions I think it's important not to post a lot of silly threads straight off without getting to know the people here a bit first and getting a measure of the tone of the forum. Answering questions is also a good way to attract attention to yourself making any thread posted more likely to get some attention.
That's just my two cents worth, not any sort of rule or anything.

Likes berkeman
You should answer threads only if you really have something to offer to the conversation. Points are pretty meaningless and purely a side effect of good answers or good questions.

Likes jbriggs444, Klystron, berkeman and 1 other person
phinds said:
You should answer threads only if you really have something to offer to the conversation. Points are pretty meaningless and purely a side effect of good answers or good questions.
That too. Keep to what you know.

Points/trophies are a fun side-effect of participation.

I don't see any comparison between asking and answering.

CallMeDirac said:
Do you think it's better to post threads or to answer questions. Assumin`g the quality of the posts are the same as the questions you answer.
This question is meaningless because asking questions and answering questions are completely different and unrelated things.
On the forum you gain points and awards for likes and such. Which do you think is better for points and why.
"This is not a video game, son."

[edit] I see from your posting history that you are in 8th grade and have a high level of ambition. It's great to see, but you don't seem to have learned that it is important for you to learn that you have a lot to learn. At this point, you need to focus on learning. Ask questions. Don't try to answer them.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Mark44, Klystron and 2 others
russ_watters said:

+1

russ_watters said:
I had to look that one up! :smile:

russ_watters said:
This question is meaningless because asking questions and answering questions are completely different and unrelated things.

[edit] I see from your posting history that you are in 8th grade and have a high level of ambition. It's great to see, but you don't seem to have learned that it is important for you to learn that you have a lot to learn. At this point, you need to focus on learning. Ask questions. Don't try to answer them.

I was not asking in order to gain points. I was simply curious what people thought.

Likes russ_watters
You could do what I've been doing (a bit much IMO, lately) ... semi-hijacking an interesting thread, despite not being the OP, nor knowledgeable enough to give an answer.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes CallMeDirac and berkeman
CallMeDirac said:
Do you think it's better to post threads or to answer questions.
I find answering questions more fulfilling than asking them.
Does one learn more from studying answers to other's questions or by asking the question oneself?

In both cases I read available material including many posted links. Some posts entertain. Many posts inform. A few comments truly enlighten and instruct; these nuggets payment for the others.

Consider: without good questions there would be fewer fine answers.

Likes BillTre
There's something called "reaction score" as well. I suppose points and trophies and likes are a kind of reward or motivator for many people. I've ignored that stuff here but I'm not immune to desiring positive feedback. I just don't know how the points even work here. What's the formula? Is that information posted somewhere here?

JT Smith said:
Is that information posted somewhere here?
It is but I forget where. I think if you click on your reaction score and poke around that will lead you to an explanation of the "points". The reaction score is just one for every time someone reacts to one of your posts.

hmmm27 said:
You could do what I've been doing (a bit much IMO, lately) ... semi-hijacking an interesting thread, despite not being the OP, nor knowledgeable enough to give an answer.
LoL @berkeman & @CallMeDirac

Yeah, I guess I could have phrased that better, instead of coming off as some bored piratey type, bent on sowing confusion.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, CallMeDirac, BillTre and 1 other person
@icakeov used to ask questions I liked.
He would ask interesting open ended questions which provoked a lot of interesting comments.
I enjoy answering some questions. A good answer sometimes requires thinking in detail of something I might not have thought a lot about before. I consider that good.

I occasionally ask questions in threads about specific things I think PF people can inform me about.
I think those are good, but mostly for me.

Some times I post about recent science findings. I like those, but they don't always evoke a lot of comment. They are more like an announcement of something happening.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and berkeman
DrGreg said:

Thanks for that.

But when I add up all the points it says I've earned it's way more than what my profile says I have.

Apparently there also medals you can earn. But as far as I can tell you can't earn cash. If I could earn a nickel for every post I'd be quite the prolific poster on this website! I have much to say about cats.

By the way, what exactly is a "reaction"? If someone quotes you does that count? How do you give a reaction? Should I care? No, probably not. Never mind! :-)

backpack for cat.png

JT Smith said:
If I could earn a nickel for every post I'd be quite the prolific poster on this website!
Tell me about it... :wink:

berkeman said:
Tell me about it... :wink:
You would be owed $2945.80 then! :smile:

Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
You would be owed $2945.80 then! :smile:
Much less than my hourly engineering consulting rate, but it would help to cover sunscreen for the annual Mentor trips to Aruba... (inside Mentor joke) :wink:

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and BillTre

1. What is the purpose of posting threads or answering questions?

The purpose of posting threads and answering questions is to share knowledge and information with others, and to engage in discussions and debates about various topics. This can help to expand our understanding and perspectives on different subjects.

2. Which is more beneficial, posting threads or answering questions?

Both posting threads and answering questions can be beneficial in different ways. Posting threads allows you to initiate discussions and share your thoughts and ideas with others. Answering questions allows you to share your knowledge and expertise with others and help them learn something new.

3. Does posting threads or answering questions require different skills?

Yes, posting threads and answering questions require different skills. Posting threads requires the ability to initiate and lead discussions, while answering questions requires knowledge and the ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas clearly.

4. Is it better to post threads or to answer questions in order to gain recognition?

It depends on your goals and objectives. Posting thought-provoking and informative threads can help you gain recognition as a knowledgeable and insightful individual. On the other hand, providing valuable and helpful answers to questions can also help you gain recognition as an expert in a particular field.

5. How can posting threads and answering questions contribute to the scientific community?

Posting threads and answering questions can contribute to the scientific community by facilitating the exchange of ideas and knowledge among scientists and researchers. It also allows for the dissemination of new findings and research, which can further advance scientific knowledge and understanding in various fields.