Do you think this year's string conference solved anything

In summary, the conversation discusses the lectures available on a YouTube channel, which focus on the evolution of amplitudes and conformal theories to the S-Matrix Bootstrap. The speaker mentions the importance of finding special sets of parameters and the potential for this approach to lead to significant advancements in the field. The conversation also touches on the topic of increasing diversity in science, particularly in physics, and the need to address biases and inequalities. However, it is acknowledged that this is a complex issue with many factors at play. The conversation then returns to the topic of string theory and its role in understanding the scattering of mesons and other particles.
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a very exciting thing is that they are evolving from amplitudes and conformal theories to the S-Matrix Bootstrap itself. This is a very interesting change of perspective because it means to try to find special sets of parameters. Opposite to the trend of keep finding more and more vacuum exponentially.

"Hey, here are 32 hours of videos! Please watch them and tell me which ones are worth watching"

Seriously, do you think anyone is going to do that?

Likes Demystifier and arivero
Vanadium 50 said:
"Hey, here are 32 hours of videos! Please watch them and tell me which ones are worth watching"

Seriously, do you think anyone is going to do that?

No, but I just thought those who know some string might pick up on one theme that they are familiar with which has a promising material.

ftr said:
No, but I just thought those who know some string might pick up on one theme that they are familiar with which has a promising material.
Well, in that sense, no surprises AFAIK. Not the n-th supersting revolution coming; in the age of the revolutions the reaction was almost immediate after a lecture.

I've learned there should be more women in science.

haushofer said:
Yep, is about pooling a reservoir of intelligence that has remained almost untapped.

haushofer said:
If there should be more woman in science, then there should be less woman in something else. Did you also learned what that something else is?

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Demystifier said:
If there should be more woman in science, then there should be less woman in something else. Did you also learned what that something else is?
Not from the talk, as that is general politics and they tried to avoid it. In general politics, I would start looking niches where more than 75% workers are woman and adding men there. Even the "untapped reservoir" argument was only insinuated, but it is a sort of answer: you get them from someplace where their IQ is not been fully used.

There was some history I heard in Cambridge about the creation of the first feminine college -which, btw, has a nice pool inside- , and how the first evaluations shown a sensible difference of scores ahead of the rest of, not mixed, colleges. The analysis then was obvious: all the other colleges were in hard competition for the best male students of the country, while the unique feminine college has a monopoly.

arivero said:
I would start looking niches where more than 75% workers are woman and adding men there.
Why would you add more men there? Why do you think that an optimal distribution of men and women is a uniform one?

Furthermore, is sex the only characteristic that should be uniform? For instance, suppose that someone told you that people with blood group A more often choose physics than people with blood group B. Would you then argue that there should be more blood group B people in physics?

Demystifier said:
Why would you add more men there? Why do you think that an optimal distribution of men and women is a uniform one?

Furthermore, is sex the only characteristic that should be uniform? For instance, suppose that someone told you that people with blood group A more often choose physics than people with blood group B. Would you then argue that there should be more blood group B people in physics?

Note that this thread is OT, and general politics is definitely OT, so while I am interested on the topic of equality vs efficiency, I will not address the first question for general jobs or tasks. For physics particularly, it is not about equality but about rightly pooling the intelligence reservoirs. So in principle yes, if we have a variable, as blood group, that happens to be statistically underrepresented, say five sigmas away, then an issue is happening.

Of course it could be that the issue is happening out of the reach of physicists. Say that some blood group is not being taught enough math due to whatever world geopolitics. But we can establish a baseline about having enough math, say the first year in university, or the number of graduates. If distributions change respect to this baseline, something is going wrong and we are leaking brain power. Note that the talk rightly concentrated in this "pipeline" problem. You are right that not only the male/female distribution, but also other ones (nationality, family income, etc) should be checked. Do we miss people because their fathers have a company and claim them to executive posts? Do we miss people because their families are poor and they need to move to stable work? Do we miss people because of their origin nationality?

Unfortunately, the finer you make the division, the most difficult to get enough statistics. We could check if the distribution of first letter is preserved along the pipeline, and in fact we could suspect that names with early position in the alphabet are favored. But to detect this bias we would surely need a lot more of sample size that the current number of graduating physicists (well, if the hypothesis is about first letter, and not about some letter, we can use distance to AAA instead of partitioning in 28 cases... hmm perhaps it was not a so good example of impossibility).

Last edited:
Hey Folks,

Let's get back on topic of discussing the OP's first post concerning the String conference before we go solving the world's inequity problems.

Jedi

Demystifier said:
Why? Which symmetry gives conservation of women? :P

Sorry Jedishrfu, I'll be nice now :P

Likes Demystifier and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
discussing the OP's first post

Yep, it is a bit dishonest to concentrate in the less polemical issue. Let's go back to string wars.

I, for one, welcome all the boostrap talks. Still they are not enough to recover the role of string theory as a theory of the scattering of mesons and fermions, but well, jointly with the talks on amplitudes, they are interesting takes on the use of string theory.

Likes jedishrfu
what do you think of the talks on computer/lattice calculations?

Likes Greg Bernhardt and arivero

1. What is the purpose of a string conference?

A string conference is a meeting of scientists, researchers, and experts in the field of string theory. Its purpose is to discuss and present the latest findings and advancements in string theory, as well as to foster collaboration and exchange ideas among the scientific community.

2. How often do string conferences take place?

String conferences typically take place once or twice a year, depending on the demand and availability of funding. Some larger conferences, such as the Strings conference, may take place every two years.

3. Did this year's string conference bring any breakthroughs or significant discoveries?

It is difficult to determine if a conference has directly led to any breakthroughs or discoveries. However, string conferences often serve as a platform for scientists to share their findings and collaborate on new research, which can lead to advancements in the field.

4. How do string conferences contribute to the overall understanding of string theory?

String conferences play a crucial role in the development and progress of string theory. They provide a space for experts to share their knowledge and ideas, and for new researchers to learn about the current state of the field. This exchange of information and perspectives helps to advance our understanding of string theory.

5. What are some of the challenges faced by string conferences?

One of the main challenges of string conferences is the complexity and abstract nature of string theory, which can make it difficult for non-experts to fully understand the discussions and presentations. There is also a constant need for funding and resources to support these conferences, as well as the challenge of organizing and coordinating international participation. Lastly, there may be disagreements and debates among scientists, which can make it challenging to reach a consensus on certain topics.