Do your grandparents give off a smell ?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, your grandparents may have a smell that is caused by the acid palmitoleic. It is often associated with old age, but can vary depending on the individual.
flyingpig
Do your grandparents give off a "smell"?

I don't know if it is just you, but my grandparents give a certain "smell" that distinguishes them from other old people.

I've seen other old people and they give off their unique smell.

What about your grandparents or any old folks you know?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would think this applies to all people, not necessarily "old" people. My fiance certainly smells like my fiance, probably a combination of her diet and pesperation(sp) and such.

I noticed the same thing. Maybe their habits aren't with the times?

I just read 'Love in the Time of Cholera' by Gabriel García Márquez and in it he describes the 'sour' smell of old people and how old lovers have to ignore the smell of their lover because their lover has to ignore it coming from them too.

My grandmother used to smell like mothballs, because that was the thing to do in her generation, you packed away the off season clothes in mothballs.

Your grandparents may use old style perfumes/colognes/antiperspirants. Smells that were popular in their day but smell odd to us.

My grandmother also put sachets of lavender in all of her clothes drawers.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/465850"
.The smell often associated with old people is caused by palmitoleic acid. It is the acid itself that causes the smell. Everyone's skin produces it, but it increases greatly with age. A person in their 70s produces 10 times more than a person in their 40s. Some people have it worse than others.

Look up Palmitoleic Acid on wikipedia and also have a look at this article about the people who discovered this information and developed a cosmetic solution for getting rid of it here: http://web-japan.org/trends00/honbun/tj990921.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Cremation has taken care of the odour problem with my grandparents.

arildno said:

:eek:

arildno said:

You are tougher than you look, grasshoper.

arildno said:

BAM! Beat me to it.

What do my grandparents smell like?

Depends.

DaveC426913 said:
What do my grandparents smell like?

Depends.

*rimshot*

1. What causes the smell of grandparents?

The smell of grandparents is caused by a combination of factors, including changes in body chemistry, diet, and hygiene habits as people age. As we get older, our bodies produce less of certain hormones and oils, which can contribute to a distinct smell.

2. Is the smell of grandparents genetic?

While there is no specific gene that causes the smell of grandparents, certain genetic factors can play a role. For example, some people may have a genetic predisposition to produce more or less of certain hormones or oils that contribute to the smell.

3. Can the smell of grandparents be prevented?

The smell of grandparents is a natural part of the aging process and cannot be completely prevented. However, maintaining good hygiene practices and a healthy diet can help minimize the smell.

4. Does the smell of grandparents indicate a health problem?

In most cases, the smell of grandparents is not indicative of a health problem. However, if the smell is accompanied by other symptoms such as excessive sweating or changes in skin texture, it may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. Consult a doctor if you have concerns.

5. Can the smell of grandparents be masked?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the smell of grandparents, it can be masked with fragrances or by practicing good hygiene. However, it is important to remember that this smell is a natural part of the aging process and should not be seen as something to be ashamed of.