Document Control System, How Effective?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of controlling documents and the suggestion of using a document control system. The speaker is seeking information on the effectiveness of such systems and clarifies that they are referring to a system similar to a website. They also mention using Perforce and Agile for source control at their workplace and ask for more information on the complexity and frequency of document changes.
waternohitter
Hi! We have been having problems in controlling our documents. We always have a hard time identifying who made mistakes in the details encoded. I heard about this document control system. How effective is this? I want to hear from users before I suggest it to our boss. Thanks for your time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
waternohitter said:
I heard about this document control system
Could you be a little more vague? Do you mean all such systems in general? You say "this" which seems to imply one of the many. Which one?

Without the specifics it is difficult to say but the ones we use for software and other general documentation work pretty well. Give us a clue.

I am actually referring to "document control system" similar to this website. I apologize for not able to provide the exact details as I am not aware what specific information you need. I am new to our company and just wants to find answers to what my boss asks me. Anyway, I appreciate your time and effort. Ty

waternohitter said:
I am actually referring to "document control system" similar to this website.
What kind of documents will you want to be checking into the Document Control System?

At my work, we currently use Perforce for Software Source Control, and we recently switched from Agile to Arena for Product Source Control (parts info, bills of material, product design files, etc.).

How complex are your documents, and how often do they get changed?

1. What is a Document Control System?

A Document Control System is a software tool used to manage and organize documents and files within an organization. It allows for the creation, storage, retrieval, and tracking of documents, ensuring that the most up-to-date versions are always accessible to authorized users.

2. How does a Document Control System improve efficiency?

A Document Control System streamlines document management processes by providing a centralized location for all documents, eliminating the need for physical storage and manual tracking. It also allows for easier collaboration, version control, and faster retrieval of documents, ultimately saving time and improving productivity.

3. Is a Document Control System secure?

Yes, a Document Control System is designed to be highly secure, with features such as access control, user permissions, and encryption. This ensures that only authorized users have access to sensitive documents, reducing the risk of data breaches and unauthorized access.

4. Can a Document Control System be customized for different industries?

Yes, most Document Control Systems can be customized to meet the specific needs and requirements of different industries. This may include compliance regulations, document types, and workflow processes. It is important to choose a system that can be tailored to your organization's unique needs.

5. How can I measure the effectiveness of a Document Control System?

The effectiveness of a Document Control System can be measured by various factors such as improved efficiency, reduced errors, and compliance with industry regulations. Additionally, user satisfaction surveys and monitoring system usage can provide insights into its effectiveness. Regular reviews and updates of the system can also help to ensure its continued effectiveness.