Does a higher frame rate on a UHD TV affect the perception of motion?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the observation of motion on a new UHD TV, which appears to be choppier at a higher frame rate. The speaker wonders how mathematics can reconcile this contradiction and expresses concerns about the effect of UHD on their movie-watching experience. They also mention their surprise at the appearance of actors on UHD, particularly regarding their skin and aging. The conversation ends with the speaker questioning the purpose of higher frame rates and speculating on the possible influence of pixel response time on image sharpness.
jerromyjon
I'm posting this here because physics can't answer it. Neither is it philosophy. I was watching the first episode of Lucifer over again on my new UHD TV. My old UHD took a crap and it was low fps. Now watching my new TV I noticed motion looks different. I don't think it seems smoother like my intuition would lead me to believe. It kind of looks "choppier" at a higher frame rate. I wonder how mathematics could reconcile this contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
Curiously, on the UHD OLED screen, most of the indoor scenes looked too-obviously like film sets. And the space vehicles looked too-obviously like models, though not quite as bad as the original Star Wars.

Now I'm wondering whether watching movies on OLED from a 4K bluray source will ruin them for me. :oldcry:

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with UHD?
Keep these comments/critiques of UHD coming.

Bystander said:
Keep these comments/critiques of UHD coming.
Really? I could go on all day...

E.g., I was surprised just how poor your average "beautiful" movie starlet's skin is when seen up close in UHD. :oldruck:

And as for middle-aged or older actors (of either gender)... yuk. I have to keep telling myself to concentrate on the storyline, and just accept that the actors are real humans with all the usual flaws.

But this is not really a "perception of time" thing. More like "perception of aging". :frown:

strangerep said:
Really? I could go on all day...
I've been "bothered" by this for a week now. In reality motion is smooth. When I go into the TV section and look at all the higher priced TVs with 240 fps I think to myself what is the point, since I thought you can only notice the discontinuity at much lower frame rates. For example if there was a black frame inserted every 60th frame at 60 fps you wouldn't notice it consciously, as in "subliminal programming" but perhaps I'm misinformed. I just can't imagine how 30 fps would seem smoother motion than a higher frame rate unless perhaps the pixels have a faster response time making the images sharper.
Perhaps I'm just crazy even though the voices in my head tell me I'm not...

1. What is frame rate and how does it affect motion perception on a UHD TV?

Frame rate refers to the number of frames or images that are displayed per second on a television screen. A higher frame rate means that more images are shown in a given amount of time, resulting in smoother and more fluid motion on the screen.

2. Does a higher frame rate always result in a better motion perception on a UHD TV?

Not necessarily. While a higher frame rate can improve motion perception, it also depends on other factors such as the content being displayed and the quality of the TV. Some viewers may not notice a significant difference between a 60Hz and 120Hz frame rate, for example.

3. Are there any drawbacks to a higher frame rate on a UHD TV?

Yes, there can be some drawbacks. One potential issue is that a higher frame rate can make certain types of content, such as movies, look too smooth and unnatural. Additionally, a higher frame rate requires more data and processing power, which can result in a higher cost for the TV.

4. What is the optimal frame rate for UHD TVs?

There is no one optimal frame rate for all UHD TVs. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of content being watched. Some people may prefer a higher frame rate for sports or action movies, while others may not notice a significant difference.

5. Can a higher frame rate make lower quality content look better on a UHD TV?

No, a higher frame rate cannot improve the quality of the content being displayed. It can only affect the perception of motion. If the content is low quality, it will still appear blurry or pixelated, regardless of the frame rate.