Does a partial solar eclipse never completely rise?

In summary, a partial solar eclipse is one in which the eclipse circle never completely rises, and it essentially is only a sunrise or sunset eclipse, with the point at which it goes from sunrise to sunset being that location in the polar region where the eclipse is at "high noon" but which it still doesn't completely rise off of the horizon.
swampwiz
It seems that a partial solar eclipse is one in which the eclipse circle never completely rises, and it essentially is only a sunrise or sunset eclipse, with the point at which it goes from sunrise to sunset being that location in the polar region where the eclipse is at "high noon" but which it still doesn't completely rise off of the horizon.

Is this accurate?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am not certain what you are describing - but it sounds wrong.
You may see a partial solar eclipse for one of two reasons:
1) The eclipse will go to totality, but the totality will not be seen from your location because of sunrise, sunset, cloud cover, etc,
2) The eclipse will never go to totality because the Earth, Moon, and Sun will never align well enough. This can occur because the orbital plane of our moon and the orbital plane of the Earth are not the same.

Likes Nik_2213
I am also not certain what you are describing - but it also sounds wrong.

One way to get a partial eclipse is to have it at a time where the moon is farther away on average so does not completely block the sun. This is called an annular eclipse. It has nothing to do with the Earth's rotation, so can have nothing to do with sunrise or sunset.

Likes Nik_2213
I am also not certain what you are describing, but it feels important to point out that the Earth is round and has people all over it, so when the sun is at the horizon as viewed by one person it may be high in the sky as viewed by another person, somewhere else -- and both may be viewing a partial solar eclipse at the same time. The Great American Eclipse was view-able in roughly seven time zones simultaneously.

.Scott said:
I am not certain what you are describing - but it sounds wrong.
You may see a partial solar eclipse for one of two reasons:
1) The eclipse will go to totality, but the totality will not be seen from your location because of sunrise, sunset, cloud cover, etc,
2) The eclipse will never go to totality because the Earth, Moon, and Sun will never align well enough. This can occur because the orbital plane of our moon and the orbital plane of the Earth are not the same.
The most common reason you can see only a partial eclipse, is because you're off the path of the total eclipse. The 2017 eclipse could be seen in all of north america, half of south america, and lots of ocean, but the total eclipse could only be seen in a path that was 100 miles wide or so.

Likes Nik_2213
willem2 said:
The most common reason you can see only a partial eclipse, is because you're off the path of the total eclipse.
You're right. I was thinking lunar eclipse.

I meant an eclipse that does not have an umbra or antumbra - or such region does not land on Earth's surface. They all seem to hug the terminator.

swampwiz said:
They all seem to hug the terminator.

Where do you get that? The very next eclipse, July 13 2018 happens at midday.

Yes, but midday in Antarctica in July means the Sun doesn't completely rise above the horizon. That's the point I'm getting at.

swampwiz said:
Yes, but midday in Antarctic

But it does in Australia. January 6 2019 happens at 2PM in Kamcatcha.

swampwiz said:
It seems that a partial solar eclipse is one in which the eclipse circle never completely rises, and it essentially is only a sunrise or sunset eclipse, with the point at which it goes from sunrise to sunset being that location in the polar region where the eclipse is at "high noon" but which it still doesn't completely rise off of the horizon.

Is this accurate?

no it isn't accurate, partial lunar eclipses can occur any time day or nite
or solar eclipses can happen at any time of the day
I have personally photo'ed them at a wide variety of timesDave

edited for clarity for those who may not understand :wink:

Last edited:
Likes Nik_2213
swampwiz said:
I meant an eclipse that does not have an umbra or antumbra - or such region does not land on Earth's surface. They all seem to hug the terminator.
Ok, that makes more sense. If the umbra/antumbra misses the earth, the sun must be on the horizon at the location of maximum eclipse. But the penumbra is still up to several thousand miles wide (depending on how near the "miss"). Based on a map of that July eclipse, I calculate it will be 28 degrees above the horizon in southern Australia where they will see just a bit of the eclipse.

davenn said:
no it isn't accurate, partial lunar or solar eclipses can happen at any time of the day or nite
*Ahem* A solar eclipse is of course only visible during the day.

russ_watters said:
*Ahem* A solar eclipse is of course only visible during the day.
well, as you can note, I was also referencing lunar ones and hoping people would realize the difference :wink::-p

but just in case people don't get it ... I will edit the postDave

davenn said:
well, as you can note, I was also referencing lunar ones and hoping people would realize the difference :wink::-p
Well, I still have a concern with bringing lunar eclipses into the discussion, since the viewing conditions for a lunar eclipse are wholly different from a solar eclipse. Unlike a solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse can be anywhere in the sky and is visible for the entire Earth that is facing it.

Likes davenn
Um, don't lunar eclipses havbe to be at night?

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Since an eclipsed Moon must be within, I think, 1,5 degrees of the opposite of Sun, it can occur only if Sun is below or near horizon.
What is maximum Sun centre elevation at which lunar eclipse (as opposed to part of Moon, another part of which is eclipsed) can be observed?

Vanadium 50 said:

no

snorkack said:
Since an eclipsed Moon must be within, I think, 1,5 degrees of the opposite of Sun, it can occur only if Sun is below or near horizon.
What is maximum Sun centre elevation at which lunar eclipse (as opposed to part of Moon, another part of which is eclipsed) can be observed?

yes

I remember one I photo'ed where the moon was almost setting (still several deg above horizon) in western sky and the sun rising in the east

Dave

It seems to me that all solar eclipses are at somebody's Noon and all lunar eclipses are at somebody's midnight but some other people can also see them.

What is a partial solar eclipse?

A partial solar eclipse occurs when the Moon partially covers the Sun's disk, resulting in a partial shadow being cast on the Earth's surface.

Why does a partial solar eclipse never completely rise?

A partial solar eclipse never completely rises because the moon's orbit is inclined at an angle to the Earth's orbit around the Sun. This means that the Moon's shadow usually falls above or below the Earth, resulting in a partial eclipse rather than a total one.

How often does a partial solar eclipse occur?

A partial solar eclipse can occur a few times a year, but it is not visible from all locations on Earth. The frequency and visibility of a partial solar eclipse depend on the alignment of the Sun, Moon, and Earth.

Can a partial solar eclipse be dangerous to observe?

Yes, a partial solar eclipse can be dangerous to observe without proper eye protection. Looking directly at the Sun, even during a partial eclipse, can cause permanent eye damage. It is important to use certified eclipse glasses or other safe viewing methods when observing a partial solar eclipse.

What is the best way to observe a partial solar eclipse?

The best way to observe a partial solar eclipse is by using proper eye protection, such as certified eclipse glasses or a pinhole projector. It is not safe to look directly at the Sun during a partial solar eclipse. Additionally, using a telescope with a solar filter is another safe way to observe a partial solar eclipse.