Does a particle's mass fluctuate.

• I
  • Thread starter maximdogger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the mass of an "unstable particle" (or more accurately a resonance) is a well-defined number. It's given by the complex pole of its Green's function in (four-)momentum space, i.e., the real part of this pole is the mass and the imaginary part is its decay width, i.e., the inverse mean lifetime.
maximdogger
Is a particle's mass at minimum when viewed at maximum PEP of the wave form;
and is the particle's mass at maximum when viewed at minimum PEP? ( vis e=mc2 )

Physics news on Phys.org
PEP?

Likes vanhees71
sine wave Peak Envelope Power.

No.

No idea what "when viewed" means.

There is however a concept of mass width in QFT for unstable particles.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
thanks ..I will look up mass width.

maximdogger said:
thanks ..I will look up mass width.
It is actually called "decay width".
This means that if you were to colled say two photons emerging from the decay of the Higgs boson. Even if you have 100% perfect dectors and instrumentation, you will still see the invariant mass of these two photons as a distribution peaking around the higgs boson mass. In some sense, this can be interpreted as "mass width"

malawi_glenn said:
No idea what "when viewed" means.

There is however a concept of mass width in QFT for unstable particles.
The mass of an "unstable particle" (or more accurately a resonance) is a well-defined number. It's given by the complex pole of its Green's function in (four-)momentum space, i.e., the real part of this pole is the mass and the imaginary part is its decay width, i.e., the inverse mean lifetime.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
The mass of an "unstable particle" (or more accurately a resonance) is a well-defined number. It's given by the complex pole of its Green's function in (four-)momentum space, i.e., the real part of this pole is the mass and the imaginary part is its decay width, i.e., the inverse mean lifetime.
Yup.
That is how mass can be defined for particles in qft.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

2. Can a particle's mass change over time?

According to the theory of relativity, mass is a constant property of a particle and does not change over time. However, in certain situations, such as at high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, the mass of a particle may appear to change due to relativistic effects.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This means that a particle's mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

4. How is a particle's mass determined in particle physics?

In particle physics, mass is determined by measuring the particle's momentum and energy. This can be done using techniques such as particle accelerators and detectors.

5. Can a particle's mass fluctuate due to external factors?

No, a particle's mass is an intrinsic property and is not affected by external factors. However, the mass of a particle may appear to change when interacting with other particles or fields, but this is not a true fluctuation in mass.