Does anybody know the energy shells eV for glass, and solid carbon?

In summary, glass does not absorb any light, except UV. Carbon does not have discrete energy levels in the ground state, but it does have energy bands. It takes an electron with a certain energy to jump from one band to another.
Nicholas Lee
Carbon.
So is it known what energy levels for electrons in glass atoms are in eV to move to a higher shell level.
Glass does not absorb any light, except UV.
but what is the eV for the glass electron to get excited and leave the ground state, and move up to shell level 2, or energy band 2.
Also when carbon electrons are in the ground state, how much eV from light or any other EM radiation does it take for the electron to jump to shell/ energy band 2, and to shell 3, up to the point where the electron would leave the atom.
The reason I want to know about eV levels in carbon because it is the material the human body, as well as oxygen, and hydrogen, and some others.
I am studying neuroscience, and how to make human tissue less opaque, if it possible to do.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try googling "band structure of <substance name>"?
Note: the exact band structure will depend on the details of the substance in question: there is more than one kind of substance that is called "glass", more than one kind of "solid carbon", etc.

The band structure of organic molecules is very different from the structure of bulk carbon - the arrangement of atoms in a molecule determines it's properties more than the mere presence of particular atoms. Being mostly hydrogen, for instance, does not give our bodies the properties of bulk hydrogen gas any more than having a lot of carbon in solid structures in our bodies makes those structures similar to graphite, soot, or diamond ... all solid arrangements of carbon atoms.

Nicholas Lee said:
Carbon.
So is it known what energy levels for electrons in glass atoms are in eV to move to a higher shell level.
Glass does not absorb any light, except UV.
but what is the eV for the glass electron to get excited and leave the ground state, and move up to shell level 2, or energy band 2.
Also when carbon electrons are in the ground state, how much eV from light or any other EM radiation does it take for the electron to jump to shell/ energy band 2, and to shell 3, up to the point where the electron would leave the atom.
The reason I want to know about eV levels in carbon because it is the material the human body, as well as oxygen, and hydrogen, and some others.
I am studying neuroscience, and how to make human tissue less opaque, if it possible to do.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.

Here is something that you need to learn: solid state physics can be VERY DIFFERENT than atomic physics.

When atoms are joined together to form a solid, their behavior can be very different than when they are isolated. There are no more "discrete energy states" at the low-lying range, because these have been replaced by energy BANDS!

Look at carbon, for example. If I take carbon atoms, and arrange it in one way, I get graphite. But I change the arrangement in another way, I get diamond! Two completely different types of material, and with different optical properties. Yet, each one of them is made of carbon!

So, do you still think that just simply knowing that it is carbon is sufficient to actually deduce the property of the material?

Zz.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the energy shell eV for glass?

The energy shell eV for glass is typically between 4-8 eV, depending on the type of glass and its composition. This energy shell is usually higher than the energy shell for solid carbon.

2. What is the energy shell eV for solid carbon?

The energy shell eV for solid carbon can vary, but it is typically around 2-3 eV. This is lower than the energy shell for glass, as carbon has a smaller atomic radius and a different electron configuration.

3. How is the energy shell eV determined for materials like glass and solid carbon?

The energy shell eV is determined through experiments and calculations involving the electronic structure of the material. This involves measuring the energy levels of the electrons in the material and calculating their average energy.

4. Can the energy shell eV for glass and solid carbon change?

Yes, the energy shell eV for these materials can change under different conditions such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. However, the changes are usually small and do not significantly affect the overall energy shell.

5. Why is it important to know the energy shell eV for glass and solid carbon?

Knowing the energy shell eV for these materials can help in understanding their properties and behavior. It can also be useful in various applications, such as in the development of new materials and technologies.