Does anyone have diffusion pump oil for sale?

In summary, the person is looking for 100cc of Santovac-5 oil for an old diffusion pump they bought on eBay. They have been having trouble finding it at a reasonable price and are wondering if anyone has any for sale. Some suggestions were made for alternatives, such as Dow Corning DC-704 or 705 silicone oil, which may be cheaper and still provide adequate vacuum.
eigenmax
I recently bought an old diffusion pump from eBay which I'm fixing up, and need 100cc of Santovac-5 oil (polyphenyl ether) for it. Does anyone have an idea where I can get a small amount (~100cc) of it to a reasonable price? What I've found isn't either shipped to Ireland or too expensive.

Thanks,
Max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
Best price I've found with a Web search is at https://vacuumoil.com/product/santovac-5-vacuum-fluid/ ($200)
No Idea if they will ship to you.
Thanks. I've been searching for cheaper oil (I'm 17 and have a pretty minimum wage job), and I was wondering if anyone had some that they owned for sale. Thanks for the help though, I'll look into that!

That is some serious vacuum the Santovac 5 oil is good for. If you don't really need that low a vacuum there are other oils that could work. Try a Google search for Santovac 5 equivalent.

Likes Asymptotic
Would the equivalent of Dow Corning DC-704 or 705 silicone oil provide vacuum adequate for your needs? If so, it is cheaper than Santovac 5, and shipping shouldn't be a problem.

I was considering using DC-704, as I can get it for a lot cheaper. I think it ought to work.

Related to Does anyone have diffusion pump oil for sale?

1. What is diffusion pump oil and what is its purpose?

Diffusion pump oil is a type of mineral oil that is used to create a high vacuum environment in a diffusion pump. It helps to facilitate the movement of gas molecules through the pump, ultimately creating a vacuum by condensing and trapping them.

2. How do I know if I need to purchase diffusion pump oil?

If you are using a diffusion pump in your laboratory or scientific equipment, you will need to regularly check and replace the diffusion pump oil. Signs that you may need to purchase new oil include decreased vacuum levels or a change in color or consistency of the oil.

3. Where can I purchase diffusion pump oil?

Diffusion pump oil can be purchased from various scientific supply companies or online retailers. It is important to make sure you are purchasing a high-quality, specific type of oil that is compatible with your specific diffusion pump model.

4. How often should I change the diffusion pump oil?

The frequency of oil changes will depend on the usage and maintenance of your diffusion pump. In general, it is recommended to change the oil every 6-12 months or after approximately 100 hours of pump operation. However, it is important to regularly monitor the oil and change it as needed to maintain optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling diffusion pump oil?

Yes, diffusion pump oil should be handled with caution as it can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and a face mask, when handling the oil. It should also be stored in a cool, dry place and disposed of properly according to local regulations.