Does anyone know what this picture on an AP Physics t-shirt means?

In summary, the picture on the AP Physics t-shirt is a picture of three otters in a cardboard box and on the outside of the box it says "Yo?" Like Y sub o? Any help is appreciated.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hunter Hammonds said:
I found this picture on an AP Physics t-shirt years ago and always wanted to know what it meant. Thanks.

Erg, I can't get the picture to load but the shirt is a picture of three otters in a cardboard box and on the outside of the box it says "Yo?" Like Y sub o? Any help is appreciated.

I think I can make a little sense of it. "Yo" is Spanish for "I" (me). In math and physics, "Y" sub "o" means "Y" subscript "o" (## Y_o ##). (Physics and math use a lot of subscripts, e.g. ## r_o ##, ## g_o ## , and these would be called "r" sub "o" and "g" sub "o", etc.). "Yo" can also be an exclamation, so the "Yo" has multiple meanings. The 3rd meaning, the mathematical one, is "Y" sub "o".

Last edited:
The link gives me an error, but, yeah Charles' deduction makes sense...aw, I want to see the shirt now.

Likes davenn
ProfuselyQuarky said:
The link gives me an error, but, yeah Charles deduction makes sense...aw, I want to see the shirt now.
I got a similar error. This has my curiosity=yes, I would also enjoy seeing the shirt.

Charles Link said:
I got a similar error. This has my curiosity=yes, I would also enjoy seeing the shirt.
Yo quiero ver la camiseta !

(sorry I couldn't help myself)

Likes Charles Link
let's see if this helps any.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.JPG
    IMG_6089.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 544
Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Charles Link
three otters in a cardboard box and on the outside of the box it says "Yo?" Like Y sub o? Any help is appreciated.

I am suspecting they are not otters but rather moles or as a play on words mols, in chemistry
I'm no a chemist so cannot put the rest of it together

with that info, some one else may do so
Dave

Perhaps it's to be read, "Why not?" In some drawls this sounds like Y nought? (Y zero)

As NascentOxygen points out in English Y0 would typically be pronounced "why not".

I suspect someone was trying to draw skinks not otters. A skink is a type of lizard.

So the picture would have a meaning along the lines of "Why not skink (think) outside the box?"

Otters mistaken for skinks? That's quite a stretch! :smile:

Looking
otter = outa
the box
---Why not?

Or perhaps otter = oughta (ought to)
Oughta look outside the box. Why not?

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky and davenn
NascentOxygen said:
Otters mistaken for skinks? That's quite a stretch? :smile:

uh huh ... more likely otters or moles never seen a lizard looking like that

NascentOxygen said:
why not?
look
otter = outa
the box
worthy translation :smile:
D

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Why not Gopher it?

Or, how about, "Why not un-SEAL the box?"

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. What is the picture on the AP Physics t-shirt?

The picture on the AP Physics t-shirt is a representation of a famous equation from physics, known as the Schrödinger equation. It is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantum mechanical system, such as an atom, evolves over time.

2. What does the Schrödinger equation represent?

The Schrödinger equation represents the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on the atomic and subatomic level. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of matter and energy at this microscopic level.

3. Why is the Schrödinger equation important in physics?

The Schrödinger equation is important in physics because it is the foundation of quantum mechanics and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems on the atomic and subatomic level. It has also been used to develop advanced technologies such as quantum computers and lasers.

4. Is the Schrödinger equation difficult to understand?

The Schrödinger equation can be challenging to understand due to its complex mathematical nature. It requires a solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra. However, with proper training and education in physics, it can be comprehended and applied to various problems and experiments.

5. How does the Schrödinger equation relate to AP Physics?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental concept in AP Physics, particularly in the topic of quantum mechanics. It is often used to explain and predict the behavior of subatomic particles and systems, which is a crucial aspect of the AP Physics curriculum. Understanding the Schrödinger equation is essential for success in AP Physics.