Does doubling the frequency of a wave source double the speed of the waves?

In summary, the speed of a wave depends on the properties of the medium and not on the frequency of the source. Changing the frequency of the source will change the wavelength in the medium, but not the speed. The formula v = 2pi*f*amplitude is used for calculating the speed of a particle on a string, but it is not relevant to the question. The speed of a wave can change when it enters a different medium, and doubling the frequency while retaining the wavelength may cause a change in speed. However, this is not always possible as frequency and wavelength are connected.
DarylMBCP

Homework Statement

Does doubling the frequency of a wave source double the speed of the waves as according to the wave equation because one of my sources says that this is false.

Homework Equations

Speed = Wavelength • Frequency

Physics news on Phys.org

Speed of the waves depends on the properties of the medium, not on the frequency of the source. If frequency of the source changes , the wavelength in the medium changes.

However, aren't the frequency and wavelength of the wave proportional to the speed of the wave meaning that doubling the frequency of a wave source doubles the speed of the waves?

When you double the frequency, you halve the wavelength. The speed of the wave stays the same for a given medium.
Waves change speed when they enter a different medium. Light going from air into water changes in speed which we observe as a change in direction. A pencil in a glass of water looks broken.

Isn't v = 2pi * f though too? So doubling f would double v, right?

Actually I think that is the speed of a particle on a wave

cashmoney805 said:
Isn't v = 2pi * f though too? So doubling f would double v, right?

Actually I think that is the speed of a particle on a wave
That's not a speed; it has the wrong units. The relation that you have written looks like a common relation between two types of frequencies, but one of the variables that you have used is nonstandard.

Oh woops, I mean 2pi*f*Amplitude

cashmoney805 said:
Oh woops, I mean 2pi*f*Amplitude
Then that is the "speed" of the displacement associated with the oscillation. (Note that "speed" can be a generalized concept; not just length per time.)

Thanks for responding but when and what is that equation used for? Oh ya, what is 2pi in this case?

Carid said:
When you double the frequency, you halve the wavelength. The speed of the wave stays the same for a given medium. Waves change speed when they enter a different medium.

However, how if you double the frequency and retain the wavelength of that wave? Won't this cause that wave to change its speed too? Is this possible in the first place?

Daryl,
You are treating frequency and wavelength as if they are unconnected.

rl.bhat told us clearly "Speed of the waves depends on the properties of the medium, not on the frequency of the source. If frequency of the source changes , the wavelength in the medium changes. "

DarylMBCP said:
Thanks for responding but when and what is that equation used for? Oh ya, what is 2pi in this case?
That equation is for speed of a particle on a string, going up and down. I didn't mean to write an equation that wasn't relevant to the question. I thought that equation gave you the wave speed, but after I posted I realized I was wrong. Instead of deleting my post, I just corrected it in case anyone read it and got confused. Sorry!

Related to Does doubling the frequency of a wave source double the speed of the waves?

1. What is the relationship between wave frequency and speed?

Wave frequency and speed are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its speed also increases. Similarly, as the frequency decreases, the speed of the wave also decreases.

2. How is wave frequency measured?

Wave frequency is typically measured in units of hertz (Hz), which represents the number of waves passing a fixed point in one second. For example, a wave with a frequency of 5 Hz means that 5 complete waves pass by in one second.

3. Can wave speed change?

Yes, wave speed can change depending on the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, sound waves travel at different speeds through different mediums, such as air and water. Additionally, the speed of a wave can also change if the properties of the medium, such as temperature or density, change.

4. How do wavelength and frequency relate to each other?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength of a wave increases, its frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: frequency = speed/wavelength.

5. What is the difference between wave speed and wave velocity?

Wave speed and wave velocity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Wave speed refers to the rate at which a wave travels through a medium, while wave velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the wave's movement. This means that two waves can have the same speed but different velocities if they are traveling in different directions.