Does every light ray travels in all directions?

• Thread starter HamedMousavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Ray
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light rays and their interaction with objects, particularly in regards to how we are able to see objects from different angles. It is explained that light rays do not collide with each other and that their interaction allows us to see objects from various positions. The person expressing the question expresses gratitude for the helpful explanation.
HamedMousavi
Hi. I hope this is the right place to ask this and I hope it's not that much stupid.

In school we have been told that the reason we see objects is rays of light reflected from that object received by our eyes. Now if I look at a specific part of a building from above, below or exactly the front, I am still able to see a target point in that building. Does this mean that from every pixel(I mean smallest possible visible part) of the building light is reflected to every possible direction so no matter where I'm standing (Up until I am in direct path of rays) I can still see that part?

If so, how come these rays don't collide?!

I am not a physics student, just curious, so I hope this question is not too boring. Link to a fool-proof article would be helpful too! :-p

Thanks a million in advanced.

Science news on Phys.org
HamedMousavi said:
Hi. I hope this is the right place to ask this and I hope it's not that much stupid.

In school we have been told that the reason we see objects is rays of light reflected from that object received by our eyes. Now if I look at a specific part of a building from above, below or exactly the front, I am still able to see a target point in that building. Does this mean that from every pixel(I mean smallest possible visible part) of the building light is reflected to every possible direction so no matter where I'm standing (Up until I am in direct path of rays) I can still see that part?

Yes. In normal lighting there are huge numbers of photons reflecting off the building and traveling in a huge number of directions, so no matter where you are standing, many of them make it to your eyes.

If so, how come these rays don't collide?!
Light does not interact with itself, so light rays (photons) pass through each other without colliding.

Likes 1 person
phyzguy said:
Yes. In normal lighting there are huge numbers of photons reflecting off the building and traveling in a huge number of directions, so no matter where you are standing, many of them make it to your eyes.

Light does not interact with itself, so light rays (photons) pass through each other without colliding.

WOW! Amazing!
THANK YOU SO MUCH. :-)

HamedMousavi said:
WOW! Amazing!
THANK YOU SO MUCH. :-)

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to use the "Thanks" button! :)

Likes 1 person
phyzguy said:
You're welcome. Don't hesitate to use the "Thanks" button! :)

[UPDATE]
It worked this time I guess.
Thanks website owners!I tried. It says I have 0 Thank points!

I mean come on website owners! I just want to thank this kind guy who helped me finally sleep relaxed tonight without a puzzle in my mind! :-D

HamedMousavi said:
It says I have 0 Thank points!

You don't get points for giving thanks. You get points for receiving them. :wink:

Likes 1 person

Related to Does every light ray travels in all directions?

1. Does every light ray travel in all directions?

No, not every light ray travels in all directions. Light rays can travel in a straight line, in a curved path, or even in a zig-zag pattern depending on the medium through which it is traveling.

2. What determines the direction of a light ray?

The direction of a light ray is determined by the angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the light ray hits a surface, and the angle of reflection, which is the angle at which the light ray bounces off the surface.

3. Can light rays change direction?

Yes, light rays can change direction when they interact with different mediums or surfaces. This can be seen in phenomena such as refraction, where light rays bend when passing through a medium with a different density, or reflection, where light rays bounce off a smooth surface at an angle.

4. Do all light rays travel at the same speed?

No, different light rays can travel at different speeds depending on the medium through which they are traveling. For example, light travels slower in water than in air.

5. Can light rays travel in a vacuum?

Yes, light rays can travel in a vacuum as they do not require a medium to travel through. This is because light is made up of particles called photons that have the ability to travel through empty space.