Does light ever go from the eye to the image?

In summary: One could ask why all animals don't use this technique. I would think it would be to suppress multiple images formed by multiple reflections. After passing one receptor, a reflected ray could be scattered if the backing is not flat and it could be received...
lioric
TL;DR Summary
The kid wrote that the direction of the light should be coming to the eye from the image. But the teacher marked it wrong and said that the light would come from the eye to the image
C2967721-6A57-4F68-91D9-3BF304A70A2A.jpeg

You can see from the picture that the teacher has circled the arrows which shows light coming from image to the eye, and drew it in the opposite direction saying the light goes from the eye to the image.
The marking scheme of this paper only says the correct direction does not specify which is the correct direction. But on YouTube there is a video of a person doing this question and he draws the arrows this way

here is the link to the video with the timecode

but I have not found any other sources on the web showing that light travels from eyes to the image. And it makes no sense to me.

so I turn to you guys.
please give me a definitive answer
thank you for reading in this long message

Science news on Phys.org
When I was in school, check marks indicated correct. Note the 3 which to me indicates correct points earned.

Likes nasu, vanhees71 and russ_watters
lioric said:
but I have not found any other sources on the web showing that light travels from eyes to the image. And it makes no sense to me.
Emphasis added. That is good, because it should make no sense to you or anyone else.

Likes vanhees71 and dlgoff
The light is in fact coming from the Object to the eye. The (virtual) image appears along that line.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and symbolipoint
lioric said:
You are correct.

I suspect the person in the video thinks that light travels from object to image, which is true in the case of a real image such as a slide projector. The case in the question, however, is a virtual image and no light goes to the image at all and this mnemonic fails.

In any imaging system light must always go from the object to the eye (maybe bouncing off a screen or something). It can't go the other way. People's eyes do not glow.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
People's eyes do not glow.
But you can see someone else's eyes!

PeroK said:
But you can see someone else's eyes!
Fair point. Bet you can't see their retina, though.

Ibix said:
Fair point. Bet you can't see their retina, though.
An optician can, by shining a light in. Which reminds me, I need to book an eye test!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, russ_watters and pinball1970
berkeman said:
Some animals have retinas that reflect light, for better low-light vision...
Sure, and you can see their eyes glowing.

I'll be more precise. Vision does not in any way depend on light coming from the eye that is doing the perceiving (the sole exception to that is when you look at a reflection of your own eye). Light always comes from the object to the eye or camera doing the viewing. So the video demo of the mark scheme is unequivocally wrong. I hope we can agree on that.

Eyes can be objects in such a system, but that is not the case here. Or at least it is not shown as such, and even if the object were to turn out to be an eye the video is wrong.

Likes russ_watters
If light came from our eyes, why can we not see well in the dark?

Likes russ_watters
Plato had his reasons which certainly seem when illuminated by modern "wisdom".

• Wow
Likes russ_watters and PeroK
hutchphd said:
This is why modern science trumps ancient philosophy any day!

Likes PhDeezNutz, Vanadium 50 and apostolosdt
hutchphd said:
Thomas Kuhn clarified that misconception years ago!

Thank you all for your contributions
I guess I can say that we have reached a consensus that light does not come from the eyes. And that when we draw ray diagrams, the light from an object goes to the image only in real images and not in virtual images. Thank you very much.

Likes Ibix, russ_watters, hutchphd and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Some animals have retinas that reflect light, for better low-light vision...
Can you explain? How does a reflective retina improve low-light vision? I feel like that should be a detriment since that's light the retina isn't absorbing.

....or was that a joke I didn't get?

russ_watters said:
Can you explain? How does a reflective retina improve low-light vision? I feel like that should be a detriment since that's light the retina isn't absorbing.

....or was that a joke I didn't get?
Google "tapetum lucidum". It's the reflective layer behind an animals retina that sends light back through the retina for a second opportunity for detection.

• Informative
Likes Merlin3189, berkeman, Lnewqban and 2 others
renormalize said:
Google "tapetum lucidum". It's the reflective layer behind an animals retina that sends light back through the retina for a second opportunity for detection.
One could ask why all animals don't use this technique. I would think it would be to suppress multiple images formed by multiple reflections. After passing one receptor, a reflected ray could be scattered if the backing is not flat and it could be received by surrounding sensors. This would affect acuity, particularly with contrasty images. It's the usual compromise; improved low light vision for nocturnal animals and good acuity for daytime animals.

1. Does light actually travel from the eye to the image we see?

Yes, light travels from the eye to the image we see. When we look at an object, light reflects off of that object and enters our eye through the pupil. The light then passes through the lens and is focused onto the retina at the back of the eye. The retina contains photoreceptor cells that convert the light into electrical signals, which are sent to the brain for processing. This process allows us to see the image of the object.

2. How does light travel through the eye?

Light enters the eye through the cornea, which is the transparent outer layer of the eye. It then passes through the pupil, which is the opening in the center of the iris. The iris controls the size of the pupil, regulating the amount of light that enters the eye. The light then travels through the lens, which helps to focus the light onto the retina at the back of the eye. The retina contains photoreceptor cells that convert the light into electrical signals, which are then sent to the brain for processing.

3. Can light travel through the eye in a straight line?

No, light does not travel through the eye in a straight line. As it passes through the cornea and lens, it is refracted or bent to help focus the light onto the retina. This is necessary for clear vision, as the light needs to be focused onto a small area on the retina in order to create a sharp image.

4. Can light travel through the eye without being refracted?

No, light cannot travel through the eye without being refracted. The cornea and lens are specifically designed to refract light in order to focus it onto the retina. Without this refraction, the light would not be focused properly and our vision would be blurry.

5. Can light travel through the eye in complete darkness?

No, light cannot travel through the eye in complete darkness. In order for light to enter the eye and create an image, there needs to be a source of light. Without any light, there would be no image to see. However, our eyes do have a small amount of light sensitivity, so even in low light conditions, some light can still enter the eye and create an image.