Does force of falling object include its own weight?

In summary: The magnitude of the normal force is given by: ##\vec{N}=\frac{m}{r}## where ##m## is the mass of the body that is being hit, ##r## is the distance from the center of mass of the body being hit to the center of mass of the body that is hitting it, and ##\vec{N}## is pointing in the direction of the vector ##\vec{N}##. In summary, an object falls to the ground with a net force of mg. The weight of the object is not taken into account when calculating the net force.
Yong Chun Hon

Homework Statement

From what I have seen on internet sources, the average force exerted by an falling object on the ground is equal to the work done by the ground to stop the object. Assume collusion is completely inelastic and object sticks to ground after impact.

F: Net force on ground
m: mass of object
g: acceleration due to gravity
h: height of object
d: distance object travels during deceleration

F = Energy of object/distance which the force is applied = mgh/d

Another perspective would be to calculate by the change in momentum. Assume collusion is completely inelastic and object sticks to ground after impact.

F: Net force on ground
m: mass of object
v1: velocity of object the moment it touches the ground
v2: velocity of object at end (0 in this case)
t: time object takes to come to stop

F = =Change in momentum/Time = (mv1-mv2)/t

My question is should we include the weight of the object for the impact?

Homework Equations

F = mgh/d
F = (mv1-mv2)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Should the solution be be F = Change in momentum/time + weight of object = (mv1-mv2)/t + mg

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the ground is the body's weight + its rate of change of momentum. If dp/dt = 0 (when it is stopped) the force is still mg.

AM

Last edited:
Ah I see thanks. I was wondering what were the variables for a force of a punch assuming it is constantly accelerating. This indirectly helped answered it.

Yong Chun Hon said:
Ah I see thanks. I was wondering what were the variables for a force of a punch assuming it is constantly accelerating. This indirectly helped answered it.
Welcome to PF, by the way!

To analyse these kinds of thing, I suggest that you start with a free-body diagram. In the case a falling body, the forces are the downward force of gravity and the upward normal force. These forces must sum (as vectors) to "ma" where m is the mass of the falling body and a is its acceleration. Using the "up" direction as positive, this means: N - mg = ma or N = ma + mg.

In the case of a forceful horizontal punch on a body that is fixed to the earth, you have two forces being applied to the fist: the force being applied to the fist by the arm and the force being applied by the body that the fist is striking (ignoring gravity, assuming it is a perfectly horizontal punch). These two forces must add up to "ma" where m is the mass of the fist.

AM

Thanks Andrew!

I got roughly how the free body looks like. I posted this question because my A'level homework included the weight of the object for its impact when falling, but answers on the internet did not. So I thought I was missing something.

Yong Chun Hon said:
Thanks Andrew!

I got roughly how the free body looks like. I posted this question because my A'level homework included the weight of the object for its impact when falling, but answers on the internet did not. So I thought I was missing something.
Please post the homework question exactly as given to you. Otherwise there is a risk we will mislead you.
(You seem to be confused between force, impulse and energy.)

This was a question I had in my mind. But I didn't know where to post this. My reference for the force of a falling object was from my a'level tutorial. But comparing against Internet answers, they did not include the weight, hence the question.

Yong Chun Hon said:
This was a question I had in my mind. But I didn't know where to post this. My reference for the force of a falling object was from my a'level tutorial. But comparing against Internet answers, they did not include the weight, hence the question.
OK.
It might depend on what is considered to be the height through which the object descended.
If h is the height it started above the ground, and d is the depth it sank into the ground, then the total height of fall is h+d. This gives you F=mg(h+d)/d = (mgh/d)+mg.
If you only count the energy it had when it hit the ground, mgh, then you should add on the weight, because the force from the ground has to support the weight as well as absorbing the KE it already has: F = (mgh/d)+mg.
Same result.

Yong Chun Hon said:
Just to be clear, the force from a falling body on another body (such as the earth) is equal and opposite to the force that the other body (the earth) exerts on the falling body. The latter force, called the normal force, ##\vec{N}##, plus the force of gravity: ##m\vec{g}## results in ##m\vec{a}##. So regardless of how you want to analyse the situation ##\vec{N} + m\vec{g} = m\vec{a}## which can be rewritten: ##\vec{N} = m\vec{a} - m\vec{g}##. Since the "force from the falling body" on the Earth (let's call it ##\vec{F}##) is equal and opposite to the normal force, ##\vec{N}##: ##\vec{F} = m\vec{g} - m\vec{a}##.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the force of a falling object?

The force of a falling object is the gravitational force exerted on the object by the Earth. This force is also known as weight and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. Does the force of a falling object include its own weight?

Yes, the force of a falling object does include its own weight. This is because weight is a component of the gravitational force acting on the object.

3. How is the force of a falling object calculated?

The force of a falling object can be calculated using the equation F = mg, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. Is the force of a falling object constant?

No, the force of a falling object is not constant. As the object falls, the distance between the object and the Earth decreases, which leads to a decrease in the force of gravity and the force of the object's weight.

5. Does air resistance affect the force of a falling object?

Yes, air resistance can affect the force of a falling object. As the object falls, it experiences air resistance which opposes the force of gravity. This can lead to a decrease in the object's acceleration and a lower force of impact upon landing.