Does $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$?

• Thread starter Leo Liu
  • Start date
In summary: Suppose the lagrangian of a system in generalized coordinates is ##L(q,\dot q,t)##. If the following expression arises in calculations ##\dfrac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}\,,## does it equal to 0? My reasoning is that since ##\dot q## and ##q## are functions of time, the expression above equals 0. Am I right? Thanks :)The Lagrangean equation of motion for a system with friction is $$\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=-k \cdot{\dot{q}}$$. However, this equation is not always zero, because friction causes a
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
This is a conceptual question.
Suppose the lagrangian of a system in generalized coordinates is $$L(q,\dot q,t)$$
If the following expression arises in calculations$$\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}\,,$$
does it equal to 0?
My reasoning is that since ##\dot q## and ##q## are functions of time, the expression above equals 0. Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Say Force
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=-k \cdot{\dot{q}}[/tex]
the quantity you say is -k, not zero. It is a system with friction.

• Skeptical
Likes Leo Liu
anuttarasammyak said:
Say Force
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=-k \cdot{\dot{q}}[/tex]
the quantity you say is -k, not zero. It is a system with friction.
But $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=-k \cdot{\dot{q}}\neq \frac{\partial}{\partial q}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q}\right)$$
Sorry I should have indicated that it was a second derivative wrt a different var.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Ya, I was wrong. Friction comes from another way.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
Leo Liu said:
Suppose the lagrangian of a system in generalized coordinates is ##L(q,\dot q,t)##. If the following expression arises in calculations ##\dfrac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}\,,## does it equal to 0? My reasoning is that since ##\dot q## and ##q## are functions of time, the expression above equals 0. Am I right? Thanks :)

In this context ##q## and ##\dot{q}## are not functions of time, rather they are simply the independent variables which make up ##q##-##\dot{q}## space. (They are only functions of time when evaluated on a solution to the equations of motion ##\boldsymbol{\gamma}(t) = (q(t), \dot{q}(t))##).

e.g. take the silly example ##L = q^2 \dot{q}##, then ##\dfrac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q} = 2q##.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
ergospherical said:
e.g. take the silly example , then .
we can add the term ##2aq\dot{q}=\frac{d}{dt}(aq^2)## which does not change equation of motion, to Lagrangean. This term results
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q \partial \dot{q}}=2a[/tex]

what is your point? yes an equivalent lagrangian is ##\tilde{L} = q^2 \dot{q} + 2a q \dot{q}## and ##\dfrac{\partial^2 \tilde{L}}{\partial q \partial \dot{q}} = 2q + 2a##...

I meant adding that term to any normal Lagrangean, not to your example.

Anyway
[tex] q^2 \dot{q}+2aq\dot{q}=\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{q^3}{3}+aq^2)[/tex]
This Lagrangean tells nothing to us.

I don't know what you are saying because it wasn't supposed to represent any physical system, it was just an arbitrary example to demonstrate the partial derivative

I say adding any term of
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}f(q,t)[/tex]
to Lagrangean does not harm it.

Likes Leo Liu
yes, but what has this got to do with the op?

• Skeptical
Likes Leo Liu
I show a counter example to his
Leo Liu said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

does it equal to 0?
for physical case.

e.g. a free particle
[tex]L=\frac{m}{2}\dot{q}^2[/tex] and,
[tex]L=\frac{m}{2}\dot{q}^2+2aq\dot{q}[/tex] or
[tex]L=\frac{m}{2}\dot{q}^2+q^2\dot{q}+2aq\dot{q}[/tex]
are equivalent in getting a solution. The latter Lanrangeans show a counter example to OP question.

Last edited:
Likes Leo Liu

1. What does $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$ mean in the context of science?

This equation is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation and it is used in the field of classical mechanics to determine the equations of motion for a system. It represents the principle of least action, where the path of a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral, which is a measure of the system's energy.

2. How is $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$ derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path of a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral. By applying the calculus of variations to the action integral, we can obtain the Euler-Lagrange equation.

3. What are the assumptions made when using $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$ in a scientific context?

The Euler-Lagrange equation assumes that the system is conservative (i.e. there is no external force acting on the system) and that the system is in equilibrium or moving at a constant velocity. It also assumes that the system can be described using generalized coordinates and that the Lagrangian function is well-defined.

4. How is $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$ used in practical applications?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and robotics, to determine the equations of motion for a system. It allows scientists to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using $\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial q\partial \dot q}=0$ in scientific research?

While the Euler-Lagrange equation is a powerful tool for analyzing systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium or moving at a constant velocity, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account factors such as friction and air resistance, which can significantly affect the behavior of a system. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the Euler-Lagrange equation when using it in their research.