Does glucose in its cyclic structure react with HI ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction of glucose with HI and the resulting formation of n-hexane. The open chain structure of glucose is reduced and the O-C bond breaks, causing hydroxyl groups to lyse off. The energy required for this reaction is approximately 1.25 MJ/mole, making it impractical and expensive. However, with an input of heat, it is possible to convert organic molecules into different ones, similar to synthesizing gold from lead.
leojun
does glucose in its cyclic structure react with HI to form CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3?
(open chain structure of glucose reacts with HI to form CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe so, yes. I think that the glucose would be reduced and would give n-hexane.
It has been a while since I've looked at anything like this (which is bad since I have a final coming up), but I believe that an O-C bond would break and hydroxyl groups would lyse off from there. I know that that isn't very technical.

One and a quarter megajoules per mole of glucose says it doesn't.

Could you explain why not?

Why do rocks not rise into the air from a position of rest on the ground? You're pushing a partially oxidized carbon chain "uphill" to a fully reduced, higher energy state (~1.25 MJ/mole higher) with an extrememly weak reducing agent, HI. It does not work.

Unless you use a catapult. I agree that HI by itself will not reduce it, you are correct. With an input of energy (heat) though?

You can take (almost) any organic molecule as a feedstock and turn it into (almost) any other organic molecule with enough energy. Yield and expense will kill you, not unlike synthesizing gold from lead.

1. How does glucose react with HI?

Glucose, in its cyclic structure, can react with HI (hydrogen iodide) to form the corresponding glucose iodide compound.

2. What is the result of the reaction between glucose and HI?

The result of the reaction between glucose and HI is the formation of glucose iodide, which is a white, crystalline solid.

3. Is the reaction between glucose and HI a chemical or physical change?

The reaction between glucose and HI is a chemical change, as it involves the formation of a new compound with different properties than the reactants.

4. What is the purpose of using HI in the reaction with glucose?

The purpose of using HI in the reaction with glucose is to introduce an iodine atom into the glucose molecule, which can be useful for further chemical reactions or identification of the compound.

5. Can the reaction between glucose and HI be reversed?

The reaction between glucose and HI is a one-way reaction and cannot be easily reversed. However, the glucose iodide compound can be broken down into its constituent parts through other chemical reactions.