Does ##H_2 O_2## or benzalkonium chloride pollute the environment?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary: Bioaccumulation is when toxins build up in the body over time. Choice #2 is not safe for the environment, and it is written on the bottle that it has long-lasting adverse effects on aquatic life.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Does hydrogen peroxide or benzalkonium chloride pollute the environment, or are they bad for aquatic life?
We have to go to a hospital quite a lot these days, and that hospital offers treatment for COVID-19. We have to take additional precautions due to this reason. In addition to washing our hands/keeping them sanitised, we also need to disinfect our clothes properly after every visit.

Till date, we have used the usual antiseptic liquid (which contains chloroxylenol) to disinfect our clothes. However, I decided to buy a laundry disinfectant instead. I had two choices on Amazon.in: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0835LLD8G/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874ZBZWV/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

One person https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R2B0VJU51D/?tag=pfamazon01-20 in the Reviews section that choice #1 is not safe for the environment, and it is written on the bottle that it has long-lasting adverse effects on aquatic life. So I do not want to buy this one.

Choice #2 contains benzalkonium chloride and hydrogen peroxide as active ingredients. Is anyone of these two harmful for the environment?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think H2O2 is bad for the environment. It has a very short lifetime in the air and water, going to water and oxygen.

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Chestermiller said:
I don't think H2O2 is bad for the environment. It has a very short lifetime in the air and water, going to water and oxygen.
Yes.
It is one a small set of disinfectants used in large fish facilities.
It is probably the best with respect to going away rapidly and leaving no residue (forms 02 and H2O). Thus little toxicity.
I the short term it will oxydize organic molecules it come in contact with (which is how it kills things).
Direct exposure at low levels is used for treating some fish infestations.
Prolonged or higher exposures would not be good.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Does ##H_2 O_2## pollute the environment?

Yes, hydrogen peroxide (##H_2 O_2##) can pollute the environment if it is not disposed of properly. When released into water sources, it can cause oxygen depletion and harm aquatic life. It can also contribute to air pollution when released into the atmosphere.

2. Does benzalkonium chloride pollute the environment?

Yes, benzalkonium chloride can pollute the environment if it is not disposed of properly. It is toxic to aquatic life and can also contribute to air pollution when released into the atmosphere. It is important to use this chemical cautiously and dispose of it according to regulations.

3. How does ##H_2 O_2## pollute the environment?

Hydrogen peroxide can pollute the environment through its effects on water and air. When released into water sources, it can cause oxygen depletion and harm aquatic life. It can also contribute to air pollution when released into the atmosphere, as it can react with other chemicals and form harmful byproducts.

4. How does benzalkonium chloride pollute the environment?

Benzalkonium chloride pollutes the environment through its toxic effects on aquatic life and contribution to air pollution. It can also have negative impacts on soil and plants if not disposed of properly. It is important to use this chemical responsibly and dispose of it according to regulations.

5. What are the environmental risks of using ##H_2 O_2## or benzalkonium chloride?

The environmental risks of using ##H_2 O_2## or benzalkonium chloride include pollution of water, air, and soil. These chemicals can harm aquatic life and contribute to air pollution, and can also have negative impacts on plants and soil. It is important to use these chemicals responsibly and dispose of them properly to minimize their environmental impact.