Does having a good memory mean you have a high IQ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between memory and intelligence, as well as the concept of a savant. It is noted that having a good memory does not necessarily mean one has a high IQ and vice versa. The idea of using IQ tests as a measure of intelligence is also questioned, as it may not accurately reflect an individual's abilities. The conversation also briefly touches on the connection between memory and autism, citing studies that suggest a link between high functioning Asperger's Syndrome patients and better than average memory.
Maximum7
TL;DR Summary
Question about neuroscience of the brain.
So I have an excellent memory. It’s not eidetic but I remember minuscule details that other people shouldn’t. I always did pretty decent in school but I was weak in math. I am a grad student currently going for a degree in Library Sciences. My IQ was tested as a toddler and it was a little above average but I suspect I might be a savant. Does having great recall usually mean you have a high IQ as well?

Biology news on Phys.org
A great memory does not have to go with great intelligence.
There are many examples of both opposites:
  • smart people with bad memories
  • people with great memories who aren't all that smart.
A computer can have a great memory, but need not be very smart.

Likes Evo
Does having a good memory mean you have a high IQ?

No, it means you have a good memory.

Likes Evo, berkeman, Laroxe and 2 others
Maximum7 said:
I suspect I might be a savant. Does having great recall usually mean you have a high IQ as well?
One could discuss what IQ means, is usually associated with problem solving or creativity etc, but the pragmatic answer its whatever you score on the IQ test, and that's it. This is also how you compare IQ as a general measure between most people with standardized tests.

But as you mention savants, for individuals that show extraordinary performance in special areas or tasks (beyond what most people could ever do) and sometimes at the same time may have trouble with other things(and get stuck), such as interpreting ambigous questions I suspect a regular IQ test is a blunt one-dimensional measure of a diverse topic.

/Fredrik

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Normally we avoid IQ discussions. I think Fra did a good of of pointing out that IQ tests are only comparable to the same test on a different patient. Nothing else, memory included.

FWIW
High functioning Aspergers Syndrome (autistic diagnosis) patients often have better than average memories. These are case studies of patients so take them with a grain of salt:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0028393296000541

Before this thread goes into the twilight zone, I am closing the thread.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Does having a good memory automatically mean you have a high IQ?

No, having a good memory does not necessarily mean you have a high IQ. While having a good memory can be a useful skill, it is just one aspect of intelligence. IQ (intelligence quotient) is a measure of overall intelligence, which includes problem-solving abilities, abstract reasoning, and other cognitive skills.

2. Is there a correlation between memory and IQ?

Yes, there is a correlation between memory and IQ, but it is not a perfect one. Studies have shown that individuals with higher IQ tend to have better memory abilities, but there are also cases where individuals with average or below-average IQ have exceptional memory skills.

3. Can memory be improved to increase IQ?

While memory can be improved through various techniques and exercises, it may not necessarily lead to an increase in IQ. Memory is just one aspect of intelligence, and improving it may not have a significant impact on overall IQ. However, having a good memory can certainly be beneficial in many aspects of life.

4. Are there different types of memory that contribute to IQ?

Yes, there are different types of memory that contribute to IQ. The two main types are short-term memory, which holds information temporarily, and long-term memory, which stores information for a longer period. Working memory, which is the ability to hold and manipulate information in the mind, also plays a role in IQ.

5. Can a person with a low IQ have a good memory?

Yes, a person with a low IQ can have a good memory. As mentioned earlier, memory is just one aspect of intelligence, and there are cases where individuals with below-average IQ have exceptional memory skills. Additionally, there are different types of memory, and a person may excel in one type while having a lower IQ overall.