Does Humidity "Disperse" and "Even Out" in Enclosed Space?

In summary: When a vapor-pressure differential exists, water vapor will move toward the lower pressure independently of air movement. That force drives vapor even through building walls, if not containing a suitable barrier to it.In summary, the dehumidifier will suck the humidity out of the air in the central area of the house, and the higher humidity in other parts of the house will "even out" and "fill in" the less moisture area in the center again.
kyphysics
I have a dehumidifier (just one) that is placed indoors in the house in a "central" location (maybe not perfectly center, but close). Obviously, the local humidity around the machine will get sucked out of the air and turn to water. But, would the humidity in a different part of the house be affected? As in, would less moisture in the air in the center of the house mean that the higher moisture in the air in other parts start to "even" out and "fill in" the less moisture area in the center again?

Or, would you have to physically carry the dehumidifier (mine is quite large) and plug it in and run it in different parts of a house? The latter seems a pain in the butt, but I'd be willing to do it if it helped.

Just thought maybe you wouldn't need to, as humidity may "even out" in a room/house/enclosed space on its own from some physical laws. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When a vapor-pressure differential exists, water vapor will move toward the lower pressure independently of air movement.
That force drives vapor even through building walls, if not containing a suitable barrier to it.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

Humidity contained in the air filling your house, will naturally find the dehumidifier.
The vapor dissolved in the surrounding outdoor air, if it contains more water than indoor's, will "feel" the urge to infiltrate itself into your house.

Likes russ_watters and kyphysics
Pure diffusion even in air is a relatively slow process, but this process is enhanced substantially by the home ventilation system, which provides convective circulation movement of high humidity air into proximity with the dehumidifier. The humidifier also has its own blower to help with this circulation. Still, you can expect lower humidity near the dehumidifier than further away.

Likes kyphysics
I also have a portable dehumidifier somewhat centrally located in the utility room. It adequately controls humidity in the master bedroom, which is down the hall, through the kitchen, and through the living room. We only need to remember to leave the utility room door open when running it.

I originally had a central whole house dehumidifier, but replaced it after it failed twice in a little over five years. The first failure was replaced under warranty, but the labor cost to remove and replace it was considerably greater than the cost of a portable dehumidifier. And modern portable dehumidifiers are efficient and quiet enough that there is no advantage to a whole house unit.

Likes kyphysics
Chestermiller said:
Pure diffusion even in air is a relatively slow process, but this process is enhanced substantially by the home ventilation system
Some older buildings with hot water or steam heat don't have a ventilation system (other than windows). Newer ones may have heat exchanger systems to bring in fresh air. Note that dry air is more dense than humid air, so it will tend to pool at floor level. Fans may help to distribute it.

Lnewqban said:
When a vapor-pressure differential exists, water vapor will move toward the lower pressure independently of air movement.
That force drives vapor even through building walls, if not containing a suitable barrier to it.

Humidity contained in the air filling your house, will naturally find the dehumidifier.
Quite helpful, thank you!
The vapor dissolved in the surrounding outdoor air, if it contains more water than indoor's, will "feel" the urge to infiltrate itself into your house.
This part sounds logical, but still surprised me, given the barrier of wood, brick, etc. of homes. Kind of amazing.

Likes Lnewqban
Keith_McClary said:
Note that dry air is more dense than humid air, so it will tend to pool at floor level. Fans may help to distribute it.
I could be mixing things up, but I thought it was the opposite. Non-science person here (despite my screen name), but I've been reading up on COVID in past months.

One thing I swore I read (although, again, I could be mistaken) was that COVID was less transmissible in humid air - all other things being equal. That's because the air is "heavier" (what I'm interpreting as your use of "dense") and when people speak and spew water droplets from their mouth (including COVID), it more quickly falls to the ground (thus not reaching someone else's nostrils). On the other hand, with less humid air, the virus can get aerosolized and float around in it longer.

...or so I thought...Was this just incorrect?

I use a Danby Energy Star 70-pint dehumidifier. Researched these using Consumer Reports and Amazon/Home Depot reviews. Have had it for maybe 1.5 years and it's still working well. No leaks or slow down of things.

Often, I'll see reviews say the thing conked out after a few months. Not mine.

1. Does humidity disperse evenly in an enclosed space?

No, humidity does not disperse evenly in an enclosed space. The distribution of humidity in an enclosed space is affected by various factors such as temperature, air flow, and the presence of objects or barriers that can trap moisture.

2. How does temperature affect humidity in an enclosed space?

Temperature plays a significant role in the distribution of humidity in an enclosed space. Warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air, so as the temperature increases, the humidity will become more evenly distributed. On the other hand, lower temperatures can cause moisture to condense on surfaces, leading to uneven humidity levels.

3. Can air flow impact humidity levels in an enclosed space?

Yes, air flow can greatly impact humidity levels in an enclosed space. Proper ventilation and air circulation can help to evenly distribute humidity and prevent moisture from accumulating in certain areas. However, if air flow is restricted or stagnant, humidity levels may become uneven.

4. Do objects or barriers affect the dispersion of humidity in an enclosed space?

Yes, objects and barriers can affect the dispersion of humidity in an enclosed space. Objects such as furniture, curtains, or walls can trap moisture and create pockets of high humidity, while open spaces allow for better air flow and more even distribution of humidity.

5. How can I ensure even humidity levels in an enclosed space?

To ensure even humidity levels in an enclosed space, it is important to maintain proper ventilation and air circulation. This can be achieved through the use of fans, air conditioners, or opening windows. Additionally, keeping objects and barriers to a minimum and avoiding extreme temperature changes can also help to promote even humidity levels.