Relative humidity and the science behind cigar storage

In summary, the conversation discusses differing opinions on whether the relative humidity in a humidor should change based on temperature. One source argues that the ideal relative humidity for cigars is 70-73%, regardless of temperature, while the other argues that the temperature and relative humidity should be kept at 70/70 for optimal storage. The discussion also brings up the importance of maintaining a consistent humidor temperature and adjusting the moisture level if there are significant temperature changes. Ultimately, the consensus is to aim for a relative humidity of 70% regardless of temperature for optimal cigar storage.
Flatliner
I recently got heavier into cigar smoking and want to start storing cigars at home in a humidor. Like most things that become a sort of hobby of mine, I research the hell out of my new fascination.

So while learning about humidors, I discovered that the cigar community is split on whether or not the relative humidity the humidor is kept at should change based on temperature. Below I’ll paste two differing opinions along with the rationales:

RH shouldn’t change with varying temps:
The modern myth of varying humidity with temperature is based on an entirely false premise. Cigars don't care about absolute moisture content. They need just enough moisture to keep the tobacco pliable, but not so much to swell it. This occurs at 70-73% REGARDLESS of temperature.

Tobacco should be kept at a relative humidity which just keeps the leaves pliable without swelling them. Since that pliability is based on the interaction of the cellular membranes with the air surrounding them, *relative humidity*, not absolute moisture content is what's important. This isn't chemistry, it's mechanics - on a cellular level. Ideally, the correct point is 70-73% regardless of temperature. At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature) cigar leaves become pliable without swelling. at 75% or higher, the cells begin to swell. at 68% or lower, they can become brittle. These points are regardless of the ambient temperature or the absolute moisture content.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cigars-2143/2009/9/Absolute-vs-Relative-humidity.htm

RH should change with varying temps:

The most common rule of thumb for your cabinet humidor climate is commonly referred to as the 70/70 rule. Keeping a temperature of 70°F and a RH of 70%, means that you will have the right level of AH or water vapor pressure to store your cigars. Each temperature has a corresponding RH level that helps maintain the correct AH to keep your cigars aging nicely, as displayed in the chart below. If your temperature changes from 70°F to 72°F the RH should read 65% in order to keep an AH comparative to the standard of 70/70. There are exceptions to the rule, though. Once the temperature goes below 60°F, there is no corresponding RH level that will give you an appropriate AH. The air simply can not hold that much moisture.
http://vigilantinc.com/cigarhumidors/humidity-and-temperature.php

So, I come to the Physics Forums for the science smackdown. Who is right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature)"

Your source in incorrect. In humid air, of the common measures of humidity, only mixing ratio and specific humidity are independent of temperature. Absolute humidity, relative humidity and vapor pressure all vary with changes in air temperature.

Based on the above noted error alone (and then by the apparent lack of quality of the source), I'd be skeptical of that advice. A few other notes:
1. I'd be surprised if cell structure is intact enough to matter for dried plants.
2. Perhaps there isn't research on this for cigars (I'd be surprised if there isn't), but there certainly is for wood and baseballs. I suggest looking into it.
3. As yourself this: what parameters vary in the cigar as environmental conditions change? Ie: does temperature alone make a difference? If you store a cigar in a cold environment and then quickly warm it to room temperature, will it behave differently? How about if you smoke one on a cold day? For wood, what matters is the mass ratio of water in the wood, not the temperature.

klimatos said:
"At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature)"

Your source in incorrect. In humid air, of the common measures of humidity, only mixing ratio and specific humidity are independent of temperature. Absolute humidity, relative humidity and vapor pressure all vary with changes in air temperature.
I discussed your answer and the quote you are responding to in the first article with another source and this was the reply I received:

They're saying the same thing in different terms.

This "At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature)" means 70% relative humidity is the desired RH for cigars, regardless of the humidor temperature (for reasonable ranges of temperature)."

Whereas this "... Absolute humidity, relative humidity and vapor pressure all vary with changes in air temperature" means given a fixed amount of moisture trapped in a sealed container, as the temperature goes up the relative humidity measurement will go down and vice versa.

The first statement is about cigars, the second about physics.

Combining them gives the practical result that:
1) You DO want to maintain a fairly even humidor temperature.
2) If the humidor gets much hotter or colder than normal, you DO want to add or subtract moisture to maintain 70% RH.
3) You do NOT want to target different RHs at different temperatures.

I can provide some insight into the science behind cigar storage and relative humidity. First, it is important to understand the concept of relative humidity (RH). Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that the air can hold at a given temperature. When the air is at 100% RH, it is saturated and can hold no more water vapor. When the air is at 50% RH, it is holding half of the maximum amount of water vapor it can hold at that temperature.

Now, let's apply this concept to cigar storage. Cigars are made of tobacco leaves, which have a certain moisture content. In order to keep the leaves pliable and prevent them from drying out or becoming too brittle, the humidity in the air surrounding the cigars should be at a certain level. This is where the 70/70 rule mentioned in the second opinion comes into play. The 70/70 rule states that the ideal storage conditions for cigars are a temperature of 70°F and a RH of 70%. This combination of temperature and humidity provides the right amount of moisture for the cigars to remain in optimal condition.

However, the first opinion argues that the RH should remain constant regardless of temperature. The reasoning behind this is that the cellular membranes of the tobacco leaves interact with the surrounding air at a certain RH, and this is what determines the pliability of the leaves. Therefore, according to this opinion, the ideal RH for cigar storage is 70-73%, regardless of the temperature.

So, who is right? Both opinions have valid points, but ultimately, both are somewhat oversimplifying the science behind cigar storage. The truth is that the ideal RH for cigar storage can vary depending on the type of cigar, the specific conditions of the humidor, and personal preference. Additionally, temperature does play a role in the RH of the air, as warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air. This means that as the temperature changes, the RH will also change in order to maintain the same amount of moisture in the air.

In conclusion, the key to properly storing cigars is to find the right balance of temperature and relative humidity that works best for your specific cigars and humidor. This may require some experimentation and adjustments, but ultimately, the goal is to provide enough moisture for the cigars to remain in optimal condition without becoming too dry or too moist.

1. What is relative humidity and how does it affect cigar storage?

Relative humidity (RH) is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that the air can hold at a specific temperature. In cigar storage, RH is crucial as it affects the moisture content of the cigars. Too much or too little humidity can cause the cigars to dry out or become too moist, affecting their flavor and burn.

2. What is the ideal RH for cigar storage?

The ideal RH for cigar storage is between 65-70%. This range allows the cigars to maintain their moisture and prevent them from becoming too dry or too moist. It also allows for the proper aging and maturation of the cigars, enhancing their flavor and aroma.

3. How does temperature affect RH in cigar storage?

Temperature plays a significant role in RH levels in cigar storage. As temperature increases, the air can hold more water vapor, which can result in a decrease in RH. Similarly, as temperature decreases, the air can hold less water vapor, leading to an increase in RH. It is essential to maintain a consistent temperature in cigar storage to ensure a stable RH level.

4. What are the potential consequences of improper RH levels in cigar storage?

Improper RH levels in cigar storage can have several consequences. If the RH is too low, the cigars can dry out, resulting in a harsh and bitter taste. On the other hand, if the RH is too high, the cigars can become too moist and may develop mold, affecting their flavor and potentially causing health hazards. Improper RH levels can also cause the cigars to burn unevenly or have a tight draw, making them difficult to smoke.

5. How can I maintain the proper RH in my cigar storage?

To maintain the proper RH in cigar storage, it is essential to use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity levels. If the RH is too low, you can use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. If the RH is too high, you can use a dehumidifier or remove excess moisture from the storage space. It is also crucial to store cigars in a well-sealed container or humidor to prevent fluctuations in RH levels due to external factors.