Does it look like I'm doing this double integral correctly?

In summary, the boundaries of integration for the given domain in two parts are correct. When using polar coordinates, the boundaries for the right side of the domain become 0<=r<=2 and -pi/2<=theta<=pi/2. However, the sign of the integral may change depending on the direction of integration. It is important to double check the bounds and direction of integration to ensure the correct result is obtained.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
{(x,y)∈R^2|x^2+y^2<=4, y<=x+2 }

integral of 8x dx dy
Relevant Equations
double integral
are the boundaries of integration correct?
i split the domain in two as follows

-2<=x<=0 , -(4-x^2)^(1/2)<y<=x+2 and
0<=x<=2 -(4-x^2)^(1/2)<=y<=(4-x^2)^(1/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks all right.

if, concerning the one on the right, if I use polar coordinates, the boundaries of integration become
0<=r<= 2 and pi/2 <= ##\theta##<=-pi/2

is it correct doing so?

DottZakapa said:
if, concerning the one on the right, if I use polar coordinates, the boundaries of integration become
0<=r<= 2 and pi/2 <= ##\theta##<=-pi/2

is it correct doing so?

Yes, although you could include the third quadrant as well in that case: ##-\pi \le \theta \le \frac \pi 2##. And that simplifies the bounds on the other integral.

so i don't understand why my result doesn't match with the solution :(

DottZakapa said:
so i don't understand why my result doesn't match with the solution :(

What is your answer?

-32 the one on the left and -128/3 the one with polar coordinates

DottZakapa said:
-32 the one on the left and -128/3 the one with polar coordinates

The answer must be positive, as there is more postive ##x## than negative ##x## remaining. I think you got a sign wrong somewhere.

mind if i post the picture of my calculations? just to save typing time?
PeroK said:
The answer must be positive, as there is more postive ##x## than negative ##x## remaining. I think you got a sign wrong somewhere.
Do you mind if a post the picture of my calculations? just to save time

DottZakapa said:
mind if i post the picture of my calculations? just to save typing time?

Do you mind if a post the picture of my calculations? just to save time
Okay by me.

Just an idea, did you integrate ##\cos \theta## as ##-\sin \theta##?

1581257910124.jpeg

You've got the bounds on the integral the wrong way round.

Last edited:
could be that being integrating from pi/2 to -pi/2 should i put a minus sign in front of the integral due to the clock wise direction ?

PeroK said:
You've got the bounds on the integral he wrong was round.
sorry I'm not getting what you are saying

DottZakapa said:
could be that being integrating from pi/2 to -pi/2 should i put a minus sign in front of the integral due to the clock wise direction ?

The way ##\theta## is defined in polar coordinates, you integrate anti-clockwise. In this case from ##-\frac \pi 2## to ##\frac \pi 2##.

DottZakapa said:

Yeah, but you didn't integrate ##r## from ##2## to ##0## and put a minus sign in front!

ok integrating from -pi/2 to pi/2 and putting al together everything works thanks

PeroK said:
You've got the bounds on the integral he wrong was round.
A couple typos here might have confused the OP. This should read "You've got the bounds on the integral the wrong way round."

@DottZakapa, keep in mind that ##\int_a^b f(x) dx = -int_b^a f(x) dx##, so if you integrate in the reverse direction, the sign of the result changes. That's what @PeroK was talking about in the quote above.

1. How do I know if I'm doing a double integral correctly?

There are a few things you can check to make sure you are doing a double integral correctly. First, make sure you understand the concept of a double integral and its purpose. Then, check your limits of integration, the integrand, and the order of integration to make sure they are correct. Finally, evaluate your integral and compare it to known solutions or use a graphing calculator to visualize the region of integration.

2. What is the difference between a double integral and a single integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one variable, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in two variables. In other words, a single integral has one variable of integration, while a double integral has two variables of integration.

3. Can I switch the order of integration in a double integral?

Yes, in some cases you can switch the order of integration in a double integral. This is known as changing the order of integration. However, there are certain conditions that must be met in order to do this, such as the integrand being continuous over the region of integration.

4. How do I know which variable to integrate first in a double integral?

The order of integration in a double integral does not affect the final result, but it may make the integral easier to evaluate. In general, it is recommended to integrate in the order of dx dy (or dy dx) as it typically results in simpler integrals. However, it is always important to check the integrand and limits of integration to determine the best order of integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Some common examples include calculating the mass of an object with varying density, determining the center of mass of an irregular shape, and finding the probability of an event in a two-dimensional space. They are also used in finding volumes of solids and calculating work done by a force in a two-dimensional system.