Does light escape the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of light reversing course due to the gravitational force of a star in a universe with only one sun. However, it is clarified that this is not possible and the conversation also touches on the concept of redshift.
swankdave
TL;DR Summary
In a single object universe would Gravity eventually stop all light?
Googleing this question yields answers that don't really seem to address the core of my question. I apologize if I just haven't been able to see how answers are applicable, and would greatly appreciate any insight.

Imagine a universe consisting of only our sun. no planets, no galaxies, nothing else but the void. Ignoring the fact that at some distance the light from this star becomes so dispersed as to be, for all practical purposes, undetectable; is there a distance at which the light will, please excuse the phrase as I know light always moves at the speed of light, reverses course, due to the gravitational force of the star? This is a separate question than "can the universe expand forever" as, at least it seems to me, objects with mass could still expand forever, even if light cannot ultimately outpace the warping of spacetime of its source. (mass has the momentum to counteract space-time curvature, light does not, at least I think it doesn't)

The implication here would be that all objects would eventually be considered a black hole at a sufficient distance, depending on the distance between the source of the light transmission (the surface of the sun in this case) and the Schwarzschild radius for the mass of the given object. In my head, this seems congruent with the existence of Cosmic Background Radiation, but that is likely a faulty assumption.

To put it another way, I understand that light emitted within the event horizon of a black hole cannot be seen by the outside observer. However, light from something approaching the event horizon undergoes redshift at a rate of something like v=1/sqrt(1-(d-r)). (v is apparent velocity from redshift, d is the distance to the center of mass, r is the distance from the event horizon to the center of mass) One, such as myself, might be tempted to infer that the distance light will travel from a gravitational source could be related to the integral of a formula like the one above between the distance of transmission to an observer approaching the speed of light, which, given the asymptotic nature of the formula, I would think must happen eventually? (I apologize, my calculus isn't great here, and my assumption that the integral of a horizontal asymptote with a limit of zero isn't itself limited doesn't feel quite right, but I'm proposing it anyway.)

Sorry for the rambling nature, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
swankdave said:
is there a distance at which the light will, please excuse the phrase as I know light always moves at the speed of light, reverses course, due to the gravitational force of the star?
No, the outgoing light from a star (or anywhere above the horizon of a black hole) will not reverse course. It will also not redshift infinitely.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the speed of light and how does it relate to the Universe?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This speed is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the Universe, according to Einstein's theory of relativity. This means that light cannot escape the Universe, as it is already traveling at the fastest speed possible.

2. Can light escape the boundaries of the observable Universe?

No, light cannot escape the boundaries of the observable Universe. The observable Universe is the part of the Universe that we can see and detect using telescopes and other instruments. It is estimated to have a radius of about 46.5 billion light years, which is the distance that light can travel in 13.8 billion years (the estimated age of the Universe).

3. What happens to light that reaches the edge of the Universe?

Light that reaches the edge of the Universe will continue to travel at the speed of light until it reaches a point where the expansion of the Universe is greater than the speed of light. At this point, the light will be unable to move any further and will essentially be trapped at the edge of the Universe.

4. How is the concept of the expanding Universe related to the escape of light?

The concept of the expanding Universe is closely related to the escape of light. As the Universe expands, the space between objects (including galaxies, stars, and planets) also expands. This means that the distance between objects is increasing, making it more difficult for light to travel from one point to another. Therefore, light is unable to escape the Universe due to the expansion of space.

5. Is it possible for anything to escape the Universe?

Based on our current understanding of the laws of physics, it is not possible for anything to escape the Universe. This includes not only light, but also matter and energy. The Universe is constantly expanding and there is no known way to travel faster than the speed of light, making it impossible for anything to escape its boundaries.