Does Light Reflect at the Boundary Between Water and Flint Glass?

In summary, at the boundary between water and flint glass, light at ~49 degrees from the normal is refracted according to Snell's law. It is incorrect to assume that there will always be reflection at this boundary, as it depends on the properties of the two mediums and can be affected by factors such as polarization. However, using Snell's law, one can determine the angle of refraction if it does occur.
physicsguy101

Homework Statement

At the boundary between water (n=1.33) and flint glass (n=1.66), incoming light at ~49 degrees from the normal is refracted.

Of course, I can use Snell's law to calculate the angle of refraction.

However, my question is whether any of the light at this boundary is also Reflected??

I think it would be because light reflects off both rough (diffuse reflection) and smooth surfaces, but can anybody confirm?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can confirm that your heuristic reasoning is incorrect. You do not know if it reflects or not unless you run through the equations.

Eyeballing the numbers there is a 50-50 chance you have no refelection.

Yes in general reflection and refraction always occur in pairs much as in a transverse wave traveling on a string which is rare on its initial part and denser on the other .You get two waves when the transverse wave approaches the joint one which returns back(reflection) and the other which continues its path (refraction).Mathematically there is a reflection unless the strings are the same .(it is just an analogy).
However using polarized light one can get a refraction with no reflection at all.
Using Snell's law one can only verify whether light can be refracted or not ,if it can then what the angle is.Since the light approaches through the rarer medium (water) there is no scope of total internal reflection which is in a way a synonym for no refraction.
Correct me if I am wrong.
regards
Yukoel

Related to Does Light Reflect at the Boundary Between Water and Flint Glass?

1. What is reflection at a boundary?

Reflection at a boundary is the phenomenon where a wave, such as light or sound, bounces off of a surface and changes direction. This occurs when the wave encounters a change in the medium it is traveling through.

2. How does reflection at a boundary occur?

Reflection at a boundary occurs due to the change in the speed and direction of the wave as it travels from one medium to another. When a wave encounters a change in the medium, part of the wave is transmitted through the new medium and part of it is reflected back into the original medium.

3. What factors affect the amount of reflection at a boundary?

The amount of reflection at a boundary is affected by the angle of incidence, the nature of the two mediums, and the characteristics of the wave, such as its wavelength and frequency.

4. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the incoming wave and the reflected wave will have the same angle with respect to the normal (a line perpendicular to the surface) at the point of incidence.

5. How is reflection at a boundary useful?

Reflection at a boundary is useful in a variety of applications, such as mirrors, telescopes, and radar. It allows us to see objects by reflecting light into our eyes, and it also allows us to measure distances and detect objects using sound or radio waves. It is also important in understanding the behavior of waves and the properties of different materials.