Does Mihailescu's theorem use the infinitude of primes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the infinitude of primes in proving Catalan's conjecture. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in determining which theorems the infinitude of primes is a necessary part of. The availability of a thesis and a paper on the topic is also mentioned.
DaTario
TL;DR Summary
Hi all,
I would like to know if in proving the Catalan's conjecture Preda Mihailescu used the infinitude of primes.
Hi all,
I would like to know if in proving the Catalan's conjecture Preda Mihailescu used the infinitude of primes.

Best wishes,
DaTario

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference? I guess not many people have actually read the proof. Proofs of this kind often prove upper bounds for possible solutions and check the ones below. The infiniteness of primes is so deeply woven into number theory, that it is probably impossible to figure out which theorems it is actually a necessary part of. Nobody will ever have bothered otherwise.

I had access to this thesis, but to his paper I haven't.

He seems to be worried with two prime numbers (the exponents) and wether one of them divides the other or not. But I am really not sure.

Attachments

• Catalan.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 311

1. What is Mihailescu's theorem?

Mihailescu's theorem, also known as the Catalan's conjecture, is a mathematical theorem that states that the only consecutive powers that can be both perfect powers (numbers that can be expressed as an integer raised to a positive integer power) are 8 and 9.

2. How does Mihailescu's theorem use the infinitude of primes?

Mihailescu's theorem does not explicitly use the infinitude of primes. However, the proof of this theorem relies on various properties of prime numbers, such as the unique factorization theorem and the Euclidean algorithm.

3. Why is the infinitude of primes important in mathematics?

The infinitude of primes is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept that has been studied for centuries and has many applications in different areas of mathematics, such as number theory, algebra, and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in the proof of many theorems, including Mihailescu's theorem.

4. Can Mihailescu's theorem be used to generate prime numbers?

No, Mihailescu's theorem cannot be used to generate prime numbers. This theorem is a result that proves the non-existence of certain types of consecutive perfect powers, it does not provide a method for generating prime numbers.

5. Is Mihailescu's theorem a recent discovery?

No, Mihailescu's theorem was first conjectured by the Swiss mathematician Eugène Charles Catalan in 1844. However, it was not until 2002 that Romanian mathematician Preda Mihăilescu provided a proof for this conjecture, making it a theorem.