Does nature favour cool computations? News from SFI

In summary, Wolpert's study suggests that imprecise, noisy computations can actually cool a biological system.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this should fall under Biology and Medical, or under some other science category, but I found the following news link from the Santa Fe Institute (SFI) website, about analysis by physicist and complex systems researcher David Wolpert, which suggest that imprecise, noisy computations can actually cool a biological system. The link can be found below.

http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/Wolpert-nature-selects-cool-computations/

Here is also a link to the actual published article, in the journal Entropy:

http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/18/4/138

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Curious how I see no reaction at all to my original thread here.

StatGuy2000 said:
Maybe the articles would be better placed in the probability forum, or classic physics for there is no special thermodynamics forum. Personally I don't understand enough probability theory to give an educated answer. The one who came to my mind which I'd be happy to read an answer from is Terence Tao but I think he is not part of PF.

StatGuy2000 said:
I don't think the article is of general interest to biologists or the wider scientific community. This fact is reflected by it being published in a relatively obscure journal.

Likes jim mcnamara
StatGuy2000 said:

Although it's a very interesting paper and I did save it, I can't comprehend it well enough right now to really comment on it. Introductory physics I & II is often all that is required for biology majors.

Ygggdrasil said:
I don't think the article is of general interest to biologists or the wider scientific community. This fact is reflected by it being published in a relatively obscure journal.

The journal that it was published in was related to the analysis of complex systems, but was applied specifically to biological problems (hence why I had posted this in the Biology forum). Perhaps the thread might be better placed under the section on Condensed Matter Physics (of which statistical mechanics is a part of, and much of the journal discusses topics related to statistical mechanics, at least to my admittedly limited understanding of the field) or to General Physics?

At any rate, it's a fascinating article, and wanted to raise awareness of it here on PF.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Isn't that just saying "if the result is irrelevant, organisms shouldn't spend energy on a decision" on a lot of pages?

Yes theoretically you can cool the system - if you start with a very low entropy somewhere in the organism. Where does that low entropy come from? You had to produce that before, using energy.

Likes atyy

1. What is SFI and their research on nature's preference for cool computations?

The Santa Fe Institute (SFI) is an independent, non-profit research institute that studies complex systems and their emergence from simple rules. Their research on nature's preference for cool computations focuses on understanding how natural systems utilize simple, efficient computations to solve complex problems.

2. What do you mean by "cool computations"?

Cool computations refer to simple, efficient algorithms that are able to solve complex problems. These computations are often found in natural systems, such as the way a bird navigates through a flock or how a cell divides.

3. How does nature use cool computations in everyday life?

Nature uses cool computations in a variety of ways, from the way animals forage for food to the way plants optimize their growth patterns. These computations allow for efficient problem solving and adaptation to changing environments.

4. What are some examples of cool computations found in nature?

Some examples of cool computations found in nature include the way bees use a simple algorithm to find the most efficient route between flowers, the way ants use pheromones to communicate and coordinate foraging behavior, and the way slime molds use simple rules to form complex networks.

5. How does understanding nature's preference for cool computations benefit society?

By studying and understanding how nature uses cool computations, scientists can apply these principles to solve real-world problems, such as optimizing transportation networks or developing more efficient algorithms for artificial intelligence. This research can also inspire new technologies and innovations based on nature's efficient problem-solving strategies.