Does negating a set change it symbolically?

• Thread starter YamiBustamante
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Set
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the theorem "If (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅, then (A∩B) ≠ ∅" by changing its form. The conditional statement P → Q is equivalent to ¬P∨Q, but it is unclear how to negate P. The conversation also questions if there is an easier way to prove the theorem. It is suggested to instead work with an element in (AxB)∩(BxA) to find a representation for it.
YamiBustamante
So I have to prove "If (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅, then (A∩B) ≠ ∅." I wanted to prove by changing it's form.
P = (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅ and Q = (A∩B) ≠ ∅ . The conditional statement is P implies Q and the new statement is not P or Q .
P → Q = ¬ P∨Q They are equivalent.
But how do I negate P?
Would it be (AxB)∩(BxA) = ∅ instead of (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅ or does the left side of the equal sign also change?

Also, is this the easiest way of proving this theorem? Is there any easier way? Or should I negate the entire thing and it comes out false, then the original statement is true...

Physics news on Phys.org
YamiBustamante said:
So I have to prove "If (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅, then (A∩B) ≠ ∅." I wanted to prove by changing it's form.
P = (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅ and Q = (A∩B) ≠ ∅ . The conditional statement is P implies Q and the new statement is not P or Q .
P → Q = ¬ P∨Q They are equivalent.
But how do I negate P?
Would it be (AxB)∩(BxA) = ∅ instead of (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅ or does the left side of the equal sign also change?

Also, is this the easiest way of proving this theorem? Is there any easier way? Or should I negate the entire thing and it comes out false, then the original statement is true...
There is an easier way.
If (AxB)∩(BxA) ≠ ∅,then (AxB)∩(BxA) contains at least one element. Work with that element: find out
how you can represent an element of (AxB)∩(BxA).

1. What does it mean to "negate" a set?

Negating a set means to take the complement of the set, or in other words, to find all the elements that are not in the original set.

2. How is a set negated symbolically?

The symbol for negation is a line over the set, or the letter "c" in parentheses, such as or (A).

3. Does negating a set change the elements in the set?

Yes, negating a set changes the elements in the set by finding all the elements that are not in the original set and including them in the negated set.

4. What is the purpose of negating a set?

Negating a set is useful in set operations, such as finding the intersection or difference between two sets.

5. Can a set be negated more than once?

Yes, a set can be negated multiple times, resulting in a negation of the negation, which essentially brings the elements back to the original set.