Question regarding quantifier statement

In summary: S##. Some people may use the notation "##\forall x \ (x \in S)##" because they want to emphasize that the expression "##x \in S##" is the formula containing the free variable ##x##. Some people may use the notation "##\forall x \in S##" because they don't care about such distinctions and just want to write something that is likely to be understood. Some people may use the notation "##\forall x \in S##" because they don't care about such distinctions and just want to write something that is not too confusing.
CGandC
TL;DR Summary
Suppose I have the following ( arbitrary ) statement:
$$ \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) $$
Which means: For all x that belongs to S such that P(x).

Can I write it as the following so that they are equivalent? ( although it is not conventional ):
$$ \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) $$
Can I write this way? what does this mean? ( in plain english it is ambiguous : All x that belongs to S and also P(x) )My reasoning is as follows:
$$ \forall x\in{S} \\ $$ is a statement so I denote it as Q ( not Q(x) since x is a bound variable in this statement ) .
So if i'll look back at the initial statement, i'll write it as follows: $$ Q , ( P(x) ) $$ which I write as $$ Q \land ( P(x) ) $$

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:

Can I write it as the following so that they are equivalent? ( although it is not conventional ):
Can I write this way? what does this mean? ( in plain english it is ambiguous : All x that belongs to S and also P(x) )
You could write the following statement as equivalent to first one:
## \forall x \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ##
This does assume a bit of context though (discussed below).

Generally speaking whenever something like ##\forall x## is written instead of, for example: ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}##, ##\forall x \in \mathbb{Q}##, ##\forall x \in \mathbb{N}##, ##\forall x \in \mathrm{Ord}## etc. ... that means the domain over which the quantification is taking place in ##\forall x## is (presumably) understood from the context.

==============

As an example, if we were considering real numbers and we had ##S \subseteq R##, then we could write either of the following:
## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ## ------1
## \forall x \in \mathbb{R} \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ## ------2

However, if it was reasonably clear from the context that our domain of discourse is clearly real numbers only [or actually, any superset of real numbers ... or really, even any superset of ##S##], then we could write it as above:
## \forall x \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ## ------3

The point being that sentences-(1),(2) are logically equivalent (well in classical logic on the very least). If the domain of quantification is understood to be some super-set of ##\mathbb{R}##, then sentence-(3) is also equivalent to both (1),(2).

Edit:
To elaborate a bit with regards to the statement you wrote:
## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ##
I am not certain about validity of writing this since, I think, when we write something like ## \forall x\in{S}##, it is expected to be followed by a predicate. It seems to me that normally this will not be considered valid, or at least, a clear way to write.

Though this kind of expression seems useful in defining sets if you remove the initial ##\forall## and write the following open sentence (in one variable):
## x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ##
[See end of post#4 for example]

Edit2:

Sorry I mixed up the "and" and "implication" in the initial version of the post. I think it should probably be OK now (I will re-check). Re-wrote a few further points.

Last edited:
CGandC said:

That is a sentence fragment, not what grammarians call a "complete sentence". So it doesn't describe a statement in the sense of a proposition. If it were a proposition then it could be interpreted as being either True or False.

Perhaps your question concerns different ways in which a set can be defined. Try to phrase it that way.

Can I write this way?

If ##S## is a given set, you can define the set ##V## by saying
##\forall x \{ x \in V## if and only if ## ((x\in S) \land P(x)) \}##.

There are different schemes of mathematical notation. Some people may use the notation "##\forall x \in S##" because speaking the names of the individual symbols produces a phrase that can be interpreted in English. However, I haven't seen any formal system of notation where "##\forall x \in S \land P(x)##" is correct syntax. Usual styles would be "##(\forall x) \{ x \in S \land P(x)\}##" or "##(\forall x \in S)\{ P(x)\}##".

what does this mean? ( in plain english it is ambiguous : All x that belongs to S and also P(x) )

What do you mean by "it" being ambiguous? Do you mean that the phrase "All x that belongs to S and also P(x) " can be interpreted to define two distinct sets? What are those two distinct sets?

Likes sysprog
Stephen Tashi said:
That is a sentence fragment, not what grammarians call a "complete sentence". So it doesn't describe a statement in the sense of a proposition. If it were a proposition then it could be interpreted as being either True or False.
I don't quite understand this. The expression ## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ## is a "closed sentence" (so to speak). In classical sense, it would have a true/false value.

It is true that this is informal way of writing (but it seems that this is common).

=========

One other point should be mentioned, I think. When we write an expression like:
##(\forall x) \{ x \in S \land P(x)\}##
The problem is that this is a false sentence if our "domain of discourse" [i.e. the "world" over which quantification is taking place] is anything that is a strict super-set of ##S## [or e.g. even in set theory where the quantification is taking over a class].
Stephen Tashi said:
If ##S## is a given set, you can define the set ##V## by saying
##\forall x \{ x \in V## if and only if ## ((x\in S) \land P(x)) \}##.
That's right. One other way I have seen a definition of ##V## is something like:
##V=\{x \in S\,|\, P(x) \}##

And if the domain of discourse was implicitly understood (say over class of sets etc.) then we can also write:
##V=\{x\,|\, x \in S \, \land \, P(x) \}##

Last edited:
Regarding the formalization of sentence like:
## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ##
Here is a sketch of how this should work out probably (at least that's my guess/understanding of it). I hope this won't confuse the OP (as it is an extra detail and not directly related to question, which I tried to answer in post#2).

So, as far as the question in OP is concerned, this post can be ignored.

===========

Note that below we are strictly assuming the language of set theory. First we re-write ## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ## as (informal expression):
## \forall x (x\in{S} \rightarrow \ P(x) ) ##

Now we would have a (valid) open predicate ##Q(x)## (in one variable) such that for any arbitrary set ##a##, we have ##a \in S## iff ##Q(a)## is true. We re-write the above expression as (informal expression):
## \forall x (Q(x) \rightarrow \ P(x) ) ##
When we substitute the formulas of the predicates ##Q## and ##P## in previous expression we would get the formal expression (in set theory language) which corresponds exactly to ## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ##.

Last edited:
SSequence said:
I don't quite understand this. The expression ## \forall x\in{S} \ ( P(x) ) ## is a "closed sentence" (so to speak). In classical sense, it would have a true/false value.

I agree that "For each x in the set S, x has property P" is a "closed sentence".

However the OP's interpretation of his notation was:

For all x that belongs to S such that P(x)

which isn't a phrase that I can assign a truth value.

Your wording is correct but the OP's wording (which you quoted) also seems reasonable to me. I have seen similar wording being used.

For example, I have seen both wordings being used:
"For all x that belongs to S such that P(x)"
"For all x that belongs to S such that P(x) is true"

SSequence said:
For example, I have seen both wordings being used:
"For all x that belongs to S such that P(x)"
"For all x that belongs to S such that P(x) is true"

I've seen such phases used as part of a complete sentence. My point is that, by themselves, they don't assert anything that can be judged true or false.

For example the phrase "For all x in the set of U.S. Citizens such that x is 18 years old" does not convey the idea that "Each U.S. Citizen is 18 years old".

Thanks for the helpful comments, I understand and agree with everything said above.

Stephen Tashi said:
What do you mean by "it" being ambiguous? Do you mean that the phrase "All x that belongs to S and also P(x) " can be interpreted to define two distinct sets? What are those two distinct sets?

Meaning that it on the one hand sounds like " x belongs to S and also belongs P(x) " and on the other hand it means that " x belongs only to set S [ and does not belong to P(x) ] , but P(x) is also satisfied ".

Actually I think writing ## \forall x\in{S} ( P(x) ) ## as ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ## is a mistake ( or does not make sense ) since this would entail that ## \forall x\in{S} ## stands for some statement ## Q ## . And ## P(x) ## stands for some other statement.
So that ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ## can be written as ## Q \land P(x) ##.
But from looking at the last syntax, we infer that x is not bound variable ( also called dummy variable ) but a free variable ( since ## P(x) ## depends on x ).
But since in the original statement ( ## \forall x\in{S} ( P(x) ) ## ) , x was a bound variable, therefore we reach a contradiction.
Hence, writing ## \forall x\in{S} ( P(x) ) ## as ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ## is false.
SSequence said:
Edit:
To elaborate a bit with regards to the statement you wrote:
## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ##
I am not certain about validity of writing this since, I think, when we write something like ## \forall x\in{S}##, it is expected to be followed by a predicate. It seems to me that normally this will not be considered valid, or at least, a clear way to write.

That's why I asked the question, I didn't find anything on the validity of writing ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ## ( nor does it make much sense if I really try to interpret it ). Well now I conclude that I should avoid writing the way I asked about.

Normally I would write ## \forall x\in{S} ( P(x) ) ## as ## \forall x \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ##

CGandC said:
That's why I asked the question, I didn't find anything on the validity of writing ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) ) ## ( nor does it make much sense if I really try to interpret it ). Well now I conclude that I should avoid writing the way I asked about.

Normally I would write ## \forall x\in{S} ( P(x) ) ## as ## \forall x \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ##
Yeah, ## \forall x \,\, (x \in {S} \rightarrow P(x) ) ## should be fine.

It seems to me that it might be better to avoid notation like ## \forall x\in{S} \land ( P(x) )## anyway.

If we try to write (by trying to "interpret" it anyway):
## \forall x (x\in{S}) \land ( P(y) )##
it still doesn't seem to be of much use. Since now we have an open sentence which is false for all possible values of ##y## (assuming domain of discourse to be strict super-set of ##S##).

CGandC said:
and also belongs P(x) "

It's important to distinguish between sets and statements. The usual interpretation of "##P(x)##" is "##x## has property ##P##". So "##P(x)##" denotes a propositional function. It does not denote a set.

We can define a set ##V## by saying "##V## is the set of things which have property ##P##". Strictly speaking, ##P(x)## is not a notation for the set ##V##.

A statement that a variable has a property is not the same as the set of things that have the property.

Likes sysprog

1. What is a quantifier statement?

A quantifier statement is a logical statement that uses quantifiers to express the quantity of elements in a set that satisfy a given condition. There are two types of quantifiers: universal quantifiers (such as "for all" or "every") and existential quantifiers (such as "there exists" or "some").

2. What is the difference between a universal and existential quantifier?

A universal quantifier expresses that a statement is true for all elements in a set, while an existential quantifier expresses that there exists at least one element in a set for which the statement is true. In other words, a universal quantifier is a statement about every element in a set, while an existential quantifier is a statement about at least one element in a set.

3. How do you negate a quantifier statement?

To negate a quantifier statement, you can use De Morgan's laws. For a universal quantifier, the negation is an existential quantifier with the negated statement. For an existential quantifier, the negation is a universal quantifier with the negated statement. You can also use logical equivalences to simplify and negate quantifier statements.

4. Can a quantifier statement be used to prove a statement?

Yes, quantifier statements can be used to prove statements in mathematical proofs. By using quantifier statements, you can express the conditions that must be met for a statement to be true and then use logical reasoning to show that those conditions are satisfied.

5. How do quantifier statements relate to set theory?

Quantifier statements are closely related to set theory, as they are used to express statements about elements in a set. In set theory, quantifiers are used to define and describe sets, and they are also used to prove theorems and properties about sets.