Does ω0 = ωf when radius of circular motion changes?

In summary, Vitani attempted to calculate the kinetic energy by multiplying the centripetal force by the displacement, but this is impossible without knowing the velocity at all points.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving on a frictionless horizontal table and is attached to a massless string that passes through a tiny hole of negligible radius in the table, and I am holding the other end of the string underneath the table. Initially the particle is moving in a circle of radius r0 with angular velocity ω0, but I now pull the string down until the radius reaches r. How much kinetic energy did the particle gain?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated to find the potential energy and I know the force is conservative for the kinetic energy = -potential energy. Is that right? I also figured that the final angular velocity is the same as the initial angular velocity. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
I also figured that the final angular velocity is the same as the initial angular velocity. Is that correct?
Have you ever seen an ice skater start to spin with arms and one leg extended and then pull in the arms and leg. Does the skater's shoulders stay at the same rate before and after? How might this apply to your current problem?

Likes Vitani11
Have you ever watched figure skaters - how they start spinning with their arms stretched outward. But as they bring their arms in toward their body, their angular velocity increases significantly?

Edit: phinds, you beat me to the punch. :)

Likes Vitani11
TomHart said:
Edit: phinds, you beat me to the punch. :)
Yeah, I'm feeling punchy today :smile:

EDIT: and by the way, you really should not have given him the conclusion. Notice that I was asking him to think it through himself. That's really more appropriate for PF.

Likes Vitani11 and TomHart
Are you applying a torque to the mass about the center of rotation by pulling on the string?

Vitani11 said:
the final angular velocity is the same as the initial angular velocity
If that were true, how could any KE have been gained?

Fill in the relevant equations.
You mentioned potential energy. What potential energy are you thinking of?
How much work did you do by pulling the string?

Khashishi said:
How much work did you do by pulling the string?
Reading between the lines, I would guess Vitani tried to calculate that by multiplying the centripetal force by the displacement. The problem with that is knowing the velocity at all points. Vitani wrongly took the angular velocity to be constant for this purpose.
In short, energy is not the easiest way to solve this.

I can't see how to solve this without using energy. The trick is that you have to write the angular velocity in terms of the energy, and integrate energy as a function of radius.

Khashishi said:
I can't see how to solve this without using energy. The trick is that you have to write the angular velocity in terms of the energy, and integrate energy as a function of radius.
See the hint in post #5.

Right, of course. I had a brain malfunction.

I used the fact that angular momentum is conserved (Torque is 0 since the direction of the force lies along the same line as the distance to the mass) to find the final angular velocity in terms of known variables and then used conservation of energy to solve. Thank you for the help.

Related to Does ω0 = ωf when radius of circular motion changes?

1. What is ω0 and ωf in circular motion?

ω0 is the initial angular velocity and ωf is the final angular velocity in circular motion. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a central point.

2. How does the radius of circular motion affect ω0 and ωf?

The radius of circular motion plays a crucial role in determining the values of ω0 and ωf. As the radius increases, both ω0 and ωf decrease. Similarly, as the radius decreases, both ω0 and ωf increase.

3. Does ω0 always equal ωf in circular motion?

No, ω0 and ωf do not always equal each other in circular motion. They are only equal when there is no change in the radius of circular motion.

4. How does the mass of the object in circular motion affect ω0 and ωf?

The mass of the object does not have a direct effect on ω0 and ωf in circular motion. However, a heavier object may require a larger radius to maintain the same angular velocity as a lighter object.

5. Is there a mathematical relationship between ω0, ωf, and the radius of circular motion?

Yes, there is a mathematical relationship between ω0, ωf, and the radius of circular motion. This relationship is expressed as ω0 = ωf / r, where r is the radius of circular motion.