Circular Motion Problem: Particle Velocity and Acceleration Calculation

In summary: I get ##\vec v=-2R\sin(2\theta)\omega \vec i + 2R\cos(2\theta)\omega \vec j##. I got ##\omega## because when I differentiate it it was like differentiating it with recpect to ##\theta##, so then by the chain rule I ended up with ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\omega## is it... is it what you were looking for?In summary, the particle moves along a circle with a radius of 50 cm with a constant angular velocity of 0.40. The modulus of the velocity and the direction of
Davidllerenav
Poster has been reminded to show their work in their OP, instead of having to be reminded of that by other respondents

Homework Statement

A particle A moves along a circle of radius ##R = 50 cm## so that its radius vector ##r## relative to the point O (Fig. 1.5) rotates with the constant angular velocity ω = 0.40 . Find the modulus of the velocity of the particle, and the modulus and direction of its total acceleration.
6.PNG

Homework Equations

Circular movement equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it bye setting the coordinate system on the point O, but after that I really don't know what to do next.

Attachments

• 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you did and how far you got.

kuruman said:
Please show what you did and how far you got.
I just set the coordinate system on O. Then I ended up with a triangle and used the sine law, ending up with ##\frac{R}{\sin \theta}=\frac{r}{\sin(\pi - 2\theta)}##. After that I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• WmQmU0d - Imgur.jpg
    WmQmU0d - Imgur.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 332
Your drawing will lead you to trouble because you show two items of length R. If you consider them as vectors, one of them from O to the center of the circle is fixed while the other varies with time because its direction changes. I would call them different names, then I would write the vector from O to A in terms of the angles you specified and take time derivatives. Note that in your drawing ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\omega=const.##

kuruman said:
Your drawing will lead you to trouble because you show two items of length R. If you consider them as vectors, one of them from O to the center of the circle is fixed while the other varies with time because its direction changes. I would call them different names, then I would write the vector from O to A in terms of the angles you specified and take time derivatives. Note that in your drawing ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\omega=const.##
Ok, I see. I continued with what I had before, ended up with this: ##r=2R\cos\theta##. The system is in polar coordinates, right? So ##x=r\cos\theta## and ##y=r\sin\theta##, so I replaced r and ended up with ##\vec r=2R\cos^{2}(\theta)\vec i + 2R\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\vec j##. How do I take the derivative with respec to fime of that?

Last edited:
Have you done all that? Do the same for the other vector to A shown in the original drawing. That also goes around. What is its angular velocity relative to ω? Think about all that, do what what you have to do and maybe you will see where to go next. Be sure to show what you have done up to that point if you need to ask for more help.

kuruman said:
Have you done all that? Do the same for the other vector to A shown in the original drawing. That also goes around. What is its angular velocity relative to ω? Think about all that, do what what you have to do and maybe you will see where to go next. Be sure to show what you have done up to that point if you need to ask for more help.
Sorry What other vector? I did it for the r vector that is the drawing.

Davidllerenav said:
I just set the coordinate system on O. Then I ended up with a triangle and used the sine law, ending up with ##\frac{R}{\sin \theta}=\frac{r}{\sin(\pi - 2\theta)}##. After that I don't know what to do.
Figuring out that the R radius shown makes twice the angle to the horizontal that the r vector makes to it was a good start. You can now write down the locus of the particle in Cartesian coordinates centred on the centre of the circle. Adjusting to make the origin at O is trivial.

haruspex said:
Figuring out that the R radius shown makes twice the angle to the horizontal that the r vector makes to it was a good start. You can now write down the locus of the particle in Cartesian coordinates centred on the centre of the circle. Adjusting to make the origin at O is trivial.
How do I do that? I tried just taking the derivative with respect to time of ##\vec r=2R\cos^{2}(\theta)\vec i + 2R\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\vec j##.

Davidllerenav said:
How do I do that? I tried just taking the derivative with respect to time of ##\vec r=2R\cos^{2}(\theta)\vec i + 2R\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\vec j##.
I wouid think it is easier to leave it in terms of 2θ. What do you get when you differentiate?

haruspex said:
I wouid think it is easier to leave it in terms of 2θ. What do you get when you differentiate?
I get ##\vec v=-2R\sin(2\theta)\omega \vec i + 2R\cos(2\theta)\omega \vec j##. I got ##\omega## because when I differentiate it it was like differentiating it with recpect to ##\theta##, so then by the chain rule I ended up with ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\omega## is it right?

Yes. So what is an expression for the modulus of the velocity?

kuruman said:
Yes. So what is an expression for the modulus of the velocity?
It is the square root of the component on x squared and the component on y squared. I got ##2R\omega##.

Davidllerenav said:
It is the square root of the component on x squared and the component on y squared. I got ##2R\omega##.
Right. Now do the acceleration by taking another derivative.

kuruman said:
Right. Now do the acceleration by taking another derivative.
Exactly. I did the same process and got ##4R\omega^{2}##.

Davidllerenav said:
Exactly. I did the same process and got ##4R\omega^{2}##.
Then you're done.

kuruman said:
Then you're done.
Thanks. I made another question, and I'm having trouble with it, can I post the link here?

Davidllerenav said:
Thanks. I made another question, and I'm having trouble with it, can I post the link here?
No. Please create a separate thread.

kuruman said:
No. Please create a separate thread.
Ok, thanks I created another one.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels at a constant speed around a fixed point, with its direction changing continuously.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a particle in circular motion?

The velocity of a particle in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity (measured in radians per second).

3. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in circular motion?

In circular motion, the velocity and acceleration are always perpendicular to each other. The magnitude of acceleration is equal to v²/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How do you find the acceleration of a particle in circular motion?

The acceleration of a particle in circular motion can be calculated using the formula a = rω², where a is the acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity (measured in radians per second).

5. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path that keeps an object in circular motion. It is always perpendicular to the velocity and directed towards the center of the circle.