Does operator L^2 commute with spherical harmonics?

In summary: , the problem is that he's saying that any operator commutes with its eigenfunctions, but that's not actually true.
Feelingfine
Homework Statement
Does operator L^2 commute with spherical harmonics?
Relevant Equations
[L^2 , Y_lm] = ?
Y_lm are the spherical harmonics.
My teacher said me this commutator is zero because the spherical harmonics are eigenfunctions of L^2. Actually, he said that any operator must commute with its eigenfunctions.

I tried an example: [L^2,Y_20] expressing L^2 on spherical coordinates and I determined this commutator is not zero.

[L^2, Y_20]F = L^2(Y_20F) - Y_20(L^2F) = Y_20(L^2F) + F(L^2Y_20) - Y_20(L^2F) = F(L^2Y_20) , so [L^2, Y_20] = (L^2Y_20) what it's not equal to zero.

I think what he said it's wrong, actually I think it's almost obvious. I don´'t see any reason an operator commutes whit its eigenfunctions (acting like operators).

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Feelingfine said:
Homework Statement:: Does operator L^2 commute with spherical harmonics?
Relevant Equations:: [L^2 , Y_lm] = ?
Y_lm are the spherical harmonics.

My teacher said me this commutator is zero because the spherical harmonics are eigenfunctions of L^2. Actually, he said that any operator must commute with its eigenfunctions.

I tried an example: [L^2,Y_20] expressing L^2 on spherical coordinates and I determined this commutator is not zero.

[L^2, Y_20]F = L^2(Y_20F) - Y_20(L^2F) = Y_20(L^2F) + F(L^2Y_20) - Y_20(L^2F) = F(L^2Y_20) , so [L^2, Y_20] = (L^2Y_20) what it's not equal to zero.

I think what he said it's wrong, actually I think it's almost obvious. I don´'t see any reason an operator commutes whit its eigenfunctions (acting like operators).

Can anybody help me with this problem?

It's obviously nonsense. A better counterexample is to look at ##L_z##, which is effectively ##\frac{\partial }{\partial \phi}##. And take ##Y_1^1 = \sin \theta e^{i\phi}##.

We can ignore the ##\sin \theta##. And it's easy to see that ##[L_z, e^{i\phi}I] \ne 0##.

Likes DrClaude and Feelingfine
To proof whether two operators A,B commute you have to check [A,B]=0.
so,what is your mistake in this case?
If you can't see the mistake you have to check the algebraic rules of the commutator once more .

troglodyte

1. What is the operator L^2 in relation to spherical harmonics?

The operator L^2, also known as the square of the angular momentum operator, is a mathematical operator that is used to describe the total angular momentum of a system. In the context of spherical harmonics, it is used to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the system.

2. Does the operator L^2 commute with spherical harmonics?

Yes, the operator L^2 does commute with spherical harmonics. This means that the order in which these two operators act on a function does not affect the final result. This property is important in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the simultaneous determination of angular momentum and energy of a system.

3. Why is it important for L^2 to commute with spherical harmonics?

It is important for L^2 to commute with spherical harmonics because it allows for the conservation of angular momentum in a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even as the system evolves over time. It also simplifies mathematical calculations and makes it easier to solve problems in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the commutativity of L^2 and spherical harmonics proven?

The commutativity of L^2 and spherical harmonics can be proven mathematically using the commutation relation between these two operators. This relation states that [L^2, Y_l^m(theta, phi)] = hbar^2l(l+1)Y_l^m(theta, phi), where hbar is the reduced Planck's constant, l is the angular momentum quantum number, and m is the magnetic quantum number. By using this relation, it can be shown that L^2 and Y_l^m commute with each other.

5. Are there any exceptions to the commutativity of L^2 and spherical harmonics?

Yes, there are exceptions to the commutativity of L^2 and spherical harmonics. This occurs when the system has a non-spherical geometry, such as an ellipsoid or a cylinder. In these cases, the commutation relation between L^2 and spherical harmonics is modified, and they may not commute with each other. However, in most cases, L^2 and spherical harmonics do commute and this property is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.