Does Pipe Size Affect Water Level Equilibrium in Tanks?

In summary, there is a discussion about a picture showing a big tank and a pipe with water levels. The question is whether the water level in the tank and pipe will be the same. It is confirmed that the water level will be equal if the external pressures are equal. This is because the pressure must be equal on both sides for the water to remain in equilibrium.
pheonixchin
Hi

Can someone please confirm me on this one

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9724/hydron.png

1. Is this picture correct? (The water level in the big tank and in the pipe will be the same)
2. Water level in big tank and pipe would be the same regardless of pipe size (red)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

yes, the water level will be equal if the external (air?) pressures are equal.

If this is so, the P= hd of the water must be equal on each side, otherwise there will be a pressure differential between the two sides and that will cause water to flow.

Related to Does Pipe Size Affect Water Level Equilibrium in Tanks?

1. How do I confirm the water level in a pipe and tank?

To confirm the water level in a pipe and tank, you can use a measuring device such as a ruler or a dipstick. Simply insert the measuring device into the pipe or tank and note the water level measurement.

2. What is the purpose of confirming the water level in a pipe and tank?

Confirming the water level in a pipe and tank is important for monitoring water usage and ensuring that the tank or pipe is not overfilled. It can also help detect leaks or other issues with the water system.

3. How often should I confirm the water level in a pipe and tank?

The frequency of confirming the water level in a pipe and tank will depend on your specific needs. In general, it is recommended to check the water level at least once a week or whenever there is a change in water usage.

4. Can I use an electronic device to confirm the water level in a pipe and tank?

Yes, there are electronic devices such as water level sensors that can be used to confirm the water level in a pipe and tank. These devices can provide more accurate and real-time measurements.

5. What should I do if the water level in my pipe or tank is too low or too high?

If the water level is too low, you may need to add more water to the tank or check for any leaks in the pipe. If the water level is too high, you may need to drain some water from the tank or adjust the water flow in the pipe.