Does pitch perception shift up while growing up?

In summary: Play the sound clip of 17.4KHz sound and see.Tuning into a higher frequency range is something that people as they age lose some sensitivity to.
jfizzix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think this question boils down to whether the parts of the inner ear grow from say age 6 to age 26.

My thought is that if the parts of the inner inner ear do grow a little, then their response to what was a shorter wavelength of sound in the past will be the same as to what is a longer wavelength of sound in the present. Alternatively, what a C note feels like when learning on the piano as a child, might feel up to a half step lower compared to the same note played as an adult.

If there's anyone with perfect pitch who can confirm or deny this, I would be interested. Thoughts?

Biology news on Phys.org
Speed of sound is around 300 m/s, and dimensions of inner ear are measured in mm to cm. What do those two bits of information imply?

Likes jim mcnamara
jim mcnamara said:
Hmm. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3970226/
In humans the size of cochlea reaches adult size BEFORE birth, while the child is still inside Mom.

Think about why this is the case. @Bystander gave you a strong hint.

It would make it so that the range of frequencies newborns can hear is on par with the range of frequencies parents can hear, since similarly sized cochlea, ought to respond similarly to the same wavelengths.

Likes jim mcnamara
Bystander said:
Speed of sound is around 300 m/s, and dimensions of inner ear are measured in mm to cm. What do those two bits of information imply?

Are you trying to get that the "resonant" frequency of the inner ear would be about 30 kHz to 300 kHz (i.e. speed/wavelength)?
If we think of the cochlea as some sort of acoustic waveguide, the speed of sound in the cochlear fluid (water) would be more like 1500m/s, which would make the resonant frequency 5 times higher.

I think I'm totally not getting what you're trying to get me to see. Can you tell me more?

jfizzix said:
"resonant" frequency of the inner ear would be about 30 kHz to 300 kHz (i.e. speed/wavelength)?
That's it, no need to overthink it.

I don't know if I'm understanding what your after but there is more to hearing than the shape of the inner ear and we start to loose some sensitivity quite early, young children are more likely to have a greater frequency range than parents. Reference charts are available and in this one its suggested that music appreciation might be effected from 35 onward.

Attachments

• hearing.jpg
    hearing.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

1. What is pitch perception?

Pitch perception refers to the ability to perceive and distinguish between different frequencies or tones of sound. It is a crucial aspect of our auditory system and plays a role in how we perceive and interpret music, speech, and other sounds.

2. How does pitch perception develop while growing up?

Pitch perception is known to develop and improve with age. As we grow up, our brains undergo significant changes that allow us to better process and interpret sounds, including pitch. Research has shown that infants have a limited ability to discriminate between different pitches, but this ability improves with age and experience.

3. Does pitch perception shift up or down while growing up?

The general trend is for pitch perception to shift up as we grow up. This means that as we get older, we become better at perceiving higher frequencies. However, this is not always the case and can vary depending on individual factors such as genetics and exposure to different types of sounds.

4. What causes changes in pitch perception while growing up?

There are several factors that can contribute to changes in pitch perception while growing up. These include the development of the auditory system and brain regions responsible for processing sound, exposure to different types of sounds and music, and individual differences such as genetics and language abilities.

5. Can pitch perception be trained or improved while growing up?

Yes, research has shown that pitch perception can be trained and improved while growing up. Exposure to music and musical training have been found to have a positive impact on pitch perception abilities. Additionally, engaging in activities that challenge the auditory system, such as playing musical instruments or participating in language learning, can also lead to improvements in pitch perception.