Does (R × Z,+, ·) Form a Ring Without a Multiplicative Identity?

• Thread starter hsetennis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
I don't know why I went through all that rigmarole instead of just saying "the middle thing is wrong." I apologize. :redface:In summary, (R × Z,+, ·) is a ring that contains a subset in one-to-one correspondence with R and has all the properties of the algebraic object (R,+, ·), except for the multiplicative identity. Addition and multiplication are defined as (a, n) + (b,m) = (a + b, n + m) and (a, n) · (b,m) = (ab + ma + nb, nm), respectively. To prove associativity, we need to show that [(a,n)*(b,m)]*(c,p)
hsetennis

Homework Statement

Let (R,+, ·) be an algebraic object that satisfies all the axioms for a ring
except for the multiplicative identity. Define addition and multiplication in
R × Z by
(a, n) + (b,m) = (a + b, n + m) and
(a, n) · (b,m) = (ab + ma + nb, nm).
Show that (R × Z,+, ·) is a ring that contains a subset in one-to-one
correspondence with R that has all the properties of the algebraic object
(R,+, ·).

Homework Equations

7 conditions for a ring: commute+, associate+, 1, 0, inverse+, associate×, distribute

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to prove associativity, and I think I'm making some silly computational error, but I've been at it for hours and I can't catch what I'm missing:

[itex][(a,n)*(b,m)]*(c,p) = (ab+ma+nb,nm)*(c,) = (abc+mac+nbc+pab+pma+pnb+nmc,cp)[/itex]
while
[itex](a,n)*[(b,m)*(c,p)] = (a,n)*(bc+pb+mc,cp) = (abc+apb+amc+cpa+nbc+npb+nmc,bccp+pbcp+mccp)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hsetennis said:
(a, n) · (b,m) = (ab + ma + nb, nm).
hsetennis said:
[itex][(a,n)*(b,m)]*(c,p) = (ab+ma+nb,nm)*(c,) = (abc+mac+nbc+pab+pma+pnb+nmc,cp)[/itex]
while
[itex](a,n)*[(b,m)*(c,p)] = (a,n)*(bc+pb+mc,cp) = (abc+apb+amc+cpa+nbc+npb+nmc,bccp+pbcp+mccp)[/itex]
Not sure how you managed to get a different number of factors in the terms. :smile: They should all have three factors. In the first line, (c,) should of course be (c,p) (undoubtedly just a typo). At the end of the first line, you should have nmp, not cp. Similarly, you should have ncp at the end of the second line, instead of bccp+pbcp+mccp.

Edit: I meant, assuming that the thing in the middle of the second line is correct, the second component of the thing on the right should be ncp. But the thing in the middle is wrong too. Its second component should be mp, not cp. So the second component of the thing on the right will be nmp, not ncp.

Last edited:

Related to Does (R × Z,+, ·) Form a Ring Without a Multiplicative Identity?

1. What is an algebraic structure?

An algebraic structure is a mathematical system that consists of a set of elements and operations on those elements. These operations follow specific rules and properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. Examples of algebraic structures include groups, rings, and fields.

2. What is "R" in algebraic structure R?

"R" in algebraic structure R stands for the set of real numbers. This is a commonly used algebraic structure in mathematics, as it includes all rational and irrational numbers and satisfies all the necessary properties for being a field.

3. How is "R" used in algebraic structures?

"R" is used to represent the set of elements in a particular algebraic structure that follows the properties of the real numbers. For example, in the algebraic structure of a field, the set of real numbers is used as the underlying set for defining the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. What are the main properties of algebraic structure R?

The main properties of algebraic structure R are closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverses. These properties ensure that the set of real numbers, when used in algebraic operations, will produce results that are also real numbers and follow specific rules.

5. How is algebraic structure R different from other algebraic structures?

Algebraic structure R differs from other algebraic structures in terms of the set of elements and the operations defined on those elements. For example, the set of real numbers in algebraic structure R is different from the set of integers in the algebraic structure of a ring. Additionally, the operations and properties of R may differ from those of other algebraic structures, such as groups or fields.