Does Relative Speed Affect Gravitational Attraction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and how it affects the perception of motion and gravitational fields. It also brings up the idea of tidal gravity and how it is measured. Ultimately, the overall gravitational attraction between two objects remains constant regardless of their relative motion.
cragar
If i am moving at a constant speed and i see someone moving towards me , According to relativity i can't tell if I'm moving or they are moving. But if the heavier person is moving towards me they would have more kinetic energy and a stronger gravitational field, then if i was moving and they were stationary. So would the total Gravitational attraction between us be constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one has anything on this

Regardless of whether you consider yourself as moving, or the object as moving, the measurements you can actually make will turn out the same.

The "gravitational field" of a hyper-relativistic object will approach that of an impulsive gravitational plane wave, similar to the way the electric field of a hyper-relativistic charge approaches an impulsive electromagnetic plane wave.

"Gravitational field" is an ambiguous term, in this case I am using it to mean tidal gravity, something you can actually measure (i.e. for example with a Forward mass detector, or a gravitational gradient meter (typically a rotating cruciform gravitational gradiometer) like those they use to survey for oil with.

http://www.bellgeo.com/tech/technology_theory_of_FTG.html

This is probably NOT what you're used to thinking of as the gravitational field, but if you consider the problem of the Moon's gravitational field effect on the Earth, you can perhaps see that we don't measure the Newtonian field directly, what we actually observe are time-varying tidal forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer.

Related to Does Relative Speed Affect Gravitational Attraction?

1. How does relative speed affect gravity?

Relative speed does not directly affect gravity. However, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects moving at different speeds will experience time and space differently, which can alter how gravity is perceived between them.

2. Is gravity stronger or weaker at higher speeds?

Gravity does not necessarily become stronger or weaker at higher speeds. However, the effects of gravity, such as time dilation and length contraction, may be more pronounced at higher speeds.

3. Can two objects moving at the same speed have different gravitational forces?

No, two objects moving at the same speed will experience the same gravitational force. However, if the objects are at different distances from a massive body, such as the Earth, they may experience different gravitational forces due to the inverse square law.

4. How does gravity affect the speed of objects?

Gravity affects the speed of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. The strength of this acceleration is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

5. Does gravity have an effect on the speed of light?

Yes, gravity can affect the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend the fabric of space-time, causing light to follow a curved path and appear to be moving at a different speed.