Does Resistance Affect Heating Effect in Electrical Circuits?

In summary, resistance inhibits the flow of electrons, leading to a lower heating effect. However, as the resistance increases, the number of collisions between positive ions and electrons increases, translating into a greater heating effect.
Peter G.
I understand how the collisions between positive ions and electrons generate heat when a current runs through a wire. I, therefore understand that as temperature increases, collisions are more frequent, translating into a higher resistance. It then follows that, an increased resistance, due to the fact the electrons can't flow as freely, results in increased collisions and an increase in temperature? In other words, an increased resistance equals a greater heating effect? I ask this because, from my understanding, a large current leads to a heating effect due to more collisions but, doesn't resistance hinder the flow of electrons? I tested this once with a piece of wire. I made the wire very short (very low resistance) and when I turned on the power it was cut in half!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
I understand how the collisions between positive ions and electrons generate heat when a current runs through a wire. I, therefore understand that as temperature increases, collisions are more frequent, translating into a higher resistance. It then follows that, an increased resistance, due to the fact the electrons can't flow as freely, results in increased collisions and an increase in temperature? In other words, an increased resistance equals a greater heating effect? I ask this because, from my understanding, a large current leads to a heating effect due to more collisions but, doesn't resistance hinder the flow of electrons? I tested this once with a piece of wire. I made the wire very short (very low resistance) and when I turned on the power it was cut in half!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You might be interested in Joule's calorimeter experiments for deriving the Joule's Heating Law. Google for it.
And, yes, increase in temperature means less average relaxation time and hence more resistance.

Cool! Will look for it. But I read somewhere that the greatest the resistance, the greater the heating effect. How, if a larger current triggers a large heating effect?

Related to Does Resistance Affect Heating Effect in Electrical Circuits?

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electric current through it. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material's dimensions, temperature, and composition.

2. How does resistance affect heating?

When electric current flows through a material with resistance, it causes the material to heat up. This is due to the collisions between the electrons and the atoms in the material, which generate heat energy. The higher the resistance, the more heat is produced.

3. What is the heating effect of electric current?

The heating effect of electric current refers to the production of heat when an electric current flows through a material with resistance. This effect is used in devices such as toasters, hair dryers, and electric stoves, where the heat produced by the current is utilized for various purposes.

4. How is resistance related to temperature?

Resistance is directly proportional to temperature - as the temperature of a material increases, its resistance also increases. This is due to the fact that at higher temperatures, the atoms in the material vibrate more vigorously, causing more collisions with the electrons and increasing resistance.

5. How can resistance and heating be controlled?

The resistance and heating effect of electric current can be controlled by using materials with different resistances, adjusting the voltage and current in a circuit, and using devices such as resistors to limit the flow of current. Additionally, the use of materials with lower resistances, such as copper, can reduce the amount of heat produced by electric currents.